Food Photography - C&C before I submit

Parker219

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I have not submitted these to the client yet, so if you see anything that stands out, please let me know so I can fix it before I turn these in.

Any comments welcomed.

Thank You

Lincoln-Tiff-18MLSJPG.jpg

2. Lit from the front...

Lincoln-Tiff-33MLSJPG.jpg

3. Lit from the back...

Lincoln-Tiff-37MLSJPG.jpg

Which is better?

4. Too shallow DOF? I didn't really want to show the rice that much, I wanted the pulled pork to be the star...

Lincoln-Tiff-39MLSJPG.jpg

5. Cuban

Lincoln-Tiff-44MLSJPG.jpg

Lincoln-Tiff-48MLSJPG.jpg

Luckily I already ate dinner .. yum

I'm just curious why you cut the edges off the food ?

I actually like the greater depth of field
and also the backlight pic, but it also was brighter. I might like the front lit one if it was brighter.

edit: also be careful of the food on the table position. You're getting beyond the edge of the table in a couple shots.

I have some that show everything, they look...blah...boring...too far away.

These look too cool. I'd warm up the white balance. Also boost the Reds and drop down the yellows.

The color isn't conducive to appetizing food photos.

^ Good point...I warmed one of the photos up and I think it looks better. The tomato is prepared a way where its not red, its supposed to be that color, not red.

Warmed up...

Lincoln-Tiff-18MLSJPG-after.jpg

DOF in #4 is too shallow. By purposely throwing the rice out of focus, it makes me wonder what's wrong with it. I don't mind the very tight crops. I think it is o.k. for this kind of photography.

I think the biggest problem for me is that these all seem rather bland in terms of lighting and processing, which in turn makes me think that the food is bland. Did you only have one light? Was it modified?

Yes, one light. I try to make the food look how it did in real life. So when a customer comes in to the restaurant, they can get "the same thing in the picture".

Is the lighting better on #2 ( lit from the front ) or #3 ( lit from the back)?

I think the biggest problem for me is that these all seem rather bland in terms of lighting and processing, which in turn makes me think that the food is bland. Did you only have one light? Was it modified?
^^ This. They're definitely improving, but the lighting is more appropriate for a text-book than to induce people to order the food. I don't like the crops; it makes me wonder what else is missing, I would like to see all of the items at least partly sharp; DoF fall off is fine, but no item should completely OOF. Also, don't forget to stage; knives, forks... something that shows that maybe these are or are about to be eaten. Lastly, you must get a grip on your highlights.

So...jack up the temp and vibrance? You sure this isn't too much?

Lincoln-Tiff-38-3.jpg

So...jack up the temp and vibrance? You sure this isn't too much?

View attachment 90450

No, cause now it just looks all browny and less-appetizing. Lemme see if I can give it an edit when I get home so you get an idea of what I mean.

"No, cause now it just looks all browny and less-appetizing. Lemme see if I can give it an edit when I get home so you get an idea of what I mean"

That would be great, thank you.

Last edited:
i think the plate doesn't help matters. White plates are good for foods with lots of color in them. This meal would have been better suited with a earthen red or yellow, maybe even a blue.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back