Food photography C&C please

I agree about the comments thus far (slightly overexposed). Admittedly, I probably know more about food than photography. That said, some of the ice cream shots look a little too "frosty", as though they're almost freezer burned (especially #3). Maybe it's just the uneven, or slightly blotchy quality of the frost in this one that bothers me. In any case, it definitely captures "cold" or "frozen" though, if that's what you were after. I think that could somewhat be a function of the exposure.

Also, the way the chocolate sauce spreads, and thus thins out over the ice cream is slightly unappealing to my eye, but I suppose that's a rather nit-picky point. This is also apparent in #3, next to the mango chunks, on the right. Can you thicken it with something for the shoot? Totally up to you.

I might also add that the mint sprigs look more appealing when the top side is showing (#2), rather than the bottom (vein) side (#3).

Finally, the ice cream is melting a bit in #4...can you freeze the plate beforehand, or shoot inside of a walk-in cooler?

All in all, I'm impressed...food is notoriously difficult to shoot well. Good luck with the new menu!

I agree about the comments thus far (slightly overexposed). Admittedly, I probably know more about food than photography. That said, some of the ice cream shots look a little too "frosty", as though they're almost freezer burned (especially #3). Maybe it's just the uneven, or slightly blotchy quality of the frost in this one that bothers me. In any case, it definitely captures "cold" or "frozen" though, if that's what you were after. I think that could somewhat be a function of the exposure.

Also, the way the chocolate sauce spreads, and thus thins out over the ice cream is slightly unappealing to my eye, but I suppose that's a rather nit-picky point. This is also apparent in #3, next to the mango chunks, on the right. Can you thicken it with something for the shoot? Totally up to you.

I might also add that the mint sprigs look more appealing when the top side is showing (#2), rather than the bottom (vein) side (#3).

Finally, the ice cream is melting a bit in #4...can you freeze the plate beforehand, or shoot inside of a walk-in cooler?

All in all, I'm impressed...food is notoriously difficult to shoot well. Good luck with the new menu!

Thanks! These are very good critique. I will definitely pay attention to these small details next time.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you're supposed to get down to the subject's level? a least in some pics? I can see why in food photography you'd want to have some shots from above, but some at a level might be interesting too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back