food styling project

greenspleen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
ok so i have this project, and i have to basically take really nice shots of food, and then i'm going to photoshop my face and body parts into different elements of the pictures. for example, in a picture of a roasted chicken, one of the legs might be mine rather than the chickens, or in a picture of elbow macaroni with sauce, some of the elbow macaroni might actually be my elbows. some of them are more subtle than others, some of them are worse than others, some of them are really dumb and some of them are kind of funny, but i guess i'm going for a "whole experience" rather than an individual picture-by-picture project.

i'm shooting RAW, and all of the pictures were lit inside with different lighting set-ups for each one... i think some were successful... others i'm much less happy about. the pictures are actually huge... i plan on making some kind of "menu" with the completed pictures, binding it and calling the whole project something like "eat me" or "pieces of me" (that recent ashlee simpson song that makes me laugh). the titles i've thought of so far are pretty dumb and i don't want to dumb down the whole project so much that it seems like i didn't spend a lot of time on it (because i did), but at the same time i don't want this to be a "serious" project... i want there to be an air of levity and fun surrounding it. my teacher really likes my stuff so far and says my lighting's great, and i posted one of my pictures here before and got pretty good feedback on it, so these are more in that series. i'm not terribly confident about them... i kind of think they need a lot of work. a bunch don't even have my face/body parts in them yet, and i guess i'll post those as they're completed. but i kinda wanted to get opinions from experienced folks like yourself, who don't know me and don't feel compelled to smile and say they're great. the good thing about the internet as opposed to critiques in person is that there's much less of that obligation to say something nice about someone's work because there's no facial/emotional reaction you get back. so in that sense i'm looking forward to some of your comments because i think they'll be really helpful.

anyway, thanks in advance for anything you have to say, positive or negative, about my work thus far. i'm really trying hard and putting in a lot of time into photography and it really excites me.

here are the pictures:

breakfastfruit9ap.jpg

chickendone1az.jpg

crab5kn.jpg

macaroni0mr.jpg

newsushi7xy.jpg

oatmeal9tm.jpg

pizza0jb.jpg

salad5bh.jpg

tomatosoup5ri.jpg

winecheese8zi.jpg

****. i forgot, you're not supposed to post more than one picture at a time.

but they're really supposed to be viewed as a whole... anyway, sorry about breaking the rules. and sorry if they take a while to load and stuff. but they're gonna be hanging on a wall, next to eachother next week, and like i said it's really about the whole feeling from all the pictures, not just individual ones.

sorry again for breaking the rules, i'm new here and i should have read them before i posted.

ok so:
number 1: something is wrong with focus! Maybe try reshooting and concentrating the focal lenght on the green apple... And what for there is a spoon or fork or whatever it is? I think you don't need things like that to fruits... mybe try putting there some kind of something connected with fruits.

number 2: this one is quite nice :) I like the idea with the bottle but I'd put fork here :) (the one from fruits:) )

number 3: focus again. Try getting everything sharp, and play a bit with light. Because the shadows on the meat are distracting

number 4 and 6: That's nice!!!

number 5: holy crap! It would be amazing without the hands and feet!!! It makes the food disgusting!!!!!

number 7,8 10: great! I like them!

number 9: I like the idea :) nice :)

Most reactions

Back