Food & Wine!

Alpha

Troll Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Tonight I made some fabulous food. Seared tuna crusted with szechuan peppercorns and star anise, with a lemon garlic miso aioli, seaweed rice balls and sugar snap peas, with ponzu dipping sauce. Had a fabulous chenin blanc from Montsuis Sur Loire that tasted like orange blossoms.

Last night to celebrate taking the MCAT I went to my favorite local wine bar/restaurant and paid corkage on an '89 howell mountain cab and a declassified mersault.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

If you spent that much on just taking the MCAT, I'd hate to think what will happen if you score a 35-40 on them :) Remember, spending as much on one bottle of wine as your entire med school is a BAD idea, even if the wine is good :)

Where are you thinking of going?

well, how do you think you did?

Tonight I made some fabulous food. Seared tuna crusted with szechuan peppercorns and star anise, with a lemon garlic miso aioli, seaweed rice balls and sugar snap peas, with ponzu dipping sauce. Had a fabulous chenin blanc from Montsuis Sur Loire that tasted like orange blossoms.

Last night to celebrate taking the MCAT I went to my favorite local wine bar/restaurant and paid corkage on an '89 howell mountain cab and a declassified mersault.

sounds good :) If it wasn't for the tuna :( .. tuna is way too ordinary for such a dish. Also, I hate tuna ... did I mention this? ;)

I think most tuna is overrated, except for Toro, and really fatty white tuna. In fact, it's out of season here anyway. Oddly enough, North Carolina has a bluefin tuna season...but it's in the winter. But it was what I had around, so what the hell you know?

As for the MCAT, I had a couple fumbles on the physical sciences section, though I massacred verbal reasoning and feel pretty confident about biological sciences.

As for that '89 cab, it wasn't expensive at all. Cost maybe $30 back in the early 90's. It was on its last legs, though I found it wonderful nonetheless. It was more of a history lesson for me, hearkening back to a time before all the producers in California oaked the living hell out of their wines.

Nice way to celebrate, Max. I love to cook, but hate cooking in my current kitchen. We'll see if that changes once I move to a bigger place.

I hate electric stoves with a passion. I want to destroy all of the electric stoves in the universe. I don't care if fossil fuel prices are rising.

I hate electric stoves with a passion. I want to destroy all of the electric stoves in the universe. I don't care if fossil fuel prices are rising.

:thumbup:

My new house is going to have a gas stove if it kills me.

So what's the most you'll willingly pay for corkage? I don't like seeing anything over $20.

The restaurants I prefer to frequent usually will pass on corkage after you've been there a couple of times, bought off the list, then show up with a star or two in hand and share a snort with the wait staff. That's a wine-friendly restaurant.

Nothing over $20 here, either.

I paid $15/btl here last night.

Holy crap! That's one of the very best wines this world has to offer. And 89 was a great vintage for many vintners. Good for you!!!

Holy crap! That's one of the very best wines this world has to offer. And 89 was a great vintage for many vintners. Good for you!!!

I've never eaten or drank anything to get that sort of response out of me. I'm jealous. I think it may be my lack of sniffing ability, but for me, the best food I ever had is an Egg McMuffin... seriously.

What's your secret to appreciating food and wine? It all tastes the same to me! :)

I started cooking when I was five. Wine just followed naturally...I started reading up on it probably when I was about eleven. I don't know what others' secrets are. Though I do know simply practicing with wine can help a lot.

I've finally started to like it. And I'll be 30 in August.

Nothing over $20 here, either.

I paid $15/btl here last night.
Hey, they do Open Table! :thumbup: Not too bad a wine list, at least they sport German rieslings....the best in the world.

I've finally started to like it. And I'll be 30 in August.
Don't sweat it, just continue to taste, taste, taste! :) Soon you'll develop your own flavor profile and food will never be the same.

Wine and food are the most natural pairing in the world! Especially to anyone who enjoys cooking.

Most reactions

Back