Food & Wine!

Have you tried any of these, Scurra? Nice product photography on that site - makes me thirsty for one of those whites! :lol:

I have tried them terri and they are very good, in fact I just bought my dad a bottle of the bacchus reserve and the pinot noir rondo for fathers day.

Avoid wines with a screw on cap.

I've had wines with screw on caps... lol. I couldn't taste a difference. I guess I'm just a lost cause without having the olfactory capabilities others have.

My favorite is Merlot. And I don't really care who its made by. Cab is too much, IMO, but merlot once in a while is good with its mellow, yet dry taste. Riesling is good also, but its really sweet, so you gotta be careful not to drink too much :) I also can't stand Chardonnay. Waay to dry.

But other than general tastes, that's it. Its okay, I can be a connoisseur of other things.

Screw caps are not deal-breakers. A huge number of Australian producers have switched to them. I've also seen quite a few from Oregon, New Zealand, California, and even a few from France and Italy. The only problem I have with screw-caps is that their aging potential hasn't been demonstrated. Fortunately, though, almost no-one puts a screw-cap on an age-worthy wine. The closest I've seen is perhaps the Torbreck Woodcutter's Reserve shiraz, or maybe the Rex Hill pinot, which I don't think is that good in the first place.

The only problem I have with screw-caps is that their aging potential hasn't been demonstrated.
Yeah. It's a bit off-putting to see them, but the 2-3 I've encountered certainly didn't seem to suffer for it. But it's doubtful they were meant to be agers.

I'm just getting used to seeing synthetic corks! :lol:

Was at a tasting last night, and picked off a corked wine - the presenter didn't want to admit it. :roll: Room full of people and he was too cheap to pull the cork on another bottle to compare. It could have been a good way for some of these folks to learn; a compromised bottle doesn't always hit you over the head as plonk. Sometimes it's subtle, and a side-by-side tasting is an excellent way to identify it.

Aside from that, the rest of the lineup was very good. Sangiovese is one of my favorite varietals.

I have tried them terri and they are very good, in fact I just bought my dad a bottle of the bacchus reserve and the pinot noir rondo for fathers day.
How nice! :D I bet he enjoyed that!

Sangiovese is my love. Well, the Brunello clone to be exact. I've got a '97 Talenti Brunello stashed away for a special occasion. If you ever come across Sette Ponti's Poggio Al Lupo (super tuscan), it's phenomenal. One of the best Italian wines I've had in a long time.

I've still got 9 of the 12 bottles of the 1994 Brunello that I bought back from Montalcino in 2000. Probably time I got it drunk.

Last time I looked, it wasn't wearing a skirt. But hey, that only speeds things up, right?
You're asking me like *I* should know. :bigangel:

If you ever come across Sette Ponti's Poggio Al Lupo (super tuscan), it's phenomenal. One of the best Italian wines I've had in a long time.
Never heard of that one, sounds intriguing! I'm going to say most of our Super Tuscans are cab/merlot or Syrah blends (Argiano Solengo, Ornellaia, Solaia)…we do have Cepparello and Tignanello and one more which I can't remember at the moment that are predominately, or all sangiovese. I'm not great at recalling names but am better with labels. :lol:

This one is sangiovese/cab. The '04 got something like 95-100 pts from Parker. I can definitely attest to that. The 05 was killer as well.

I think that one is in the $40-$50 range, which isn't too shabby for a super tuscan of that quality.

This one is sangiovese/cab. The '04 got something like 95-100 pts from Parker. I can definitely attest to that. The 05 was killer as well.

I think that one is in the $40-$50 range, which isn't too shabby for a super tuscan of that quality.
Brad subscribes to the Parker rag; I'll see if he can find the TN's in there. That's not a bad price at all, and if one of the local places he frequents carries it, or the '05, they usually discount more for him. Kinda like frequent flyer miles.

I'm on a mission to beef up our Italian stock. We've been heavily weighted with France for a few years now, and I'm fighting back. :lol:

Throw a couple Gajas in there and you'll be good to go.

God I want to try one his wines.

Throw a couple Gajas in there and you'll be good to go.

God I want to try one his wines.
Throw me a couple hundred and I'd be glad to. :sexywink:

I seem to recall Brad got in on a sneaky retailer's tasting, and he wasn't especially overwhelmed. For the kind of jack this stuff fetches, he wanted singing and an hour long finish.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back