Fooling flash

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by heip, Apr 30, 2004.

1. heip

heip TPF Noob!

I have a Vivitar 283 flash. the question is, how do I "fool" it? ie:fill flash outdoors etc.

2. drlynn

drlynn TPF Noob!

I assume you're talking about reducing it's output for fill effect, and that it has no wayto make adjustments.

The only thing I know to do is get some white tissue paper and a rubberband, and fasten a couple layers of tissue to the front of the flash. This will lower the output and make a "softbox" type effect.

Somebody around here will probably have a better suggestion, but this might help until something better comes along! :D

This method will require a good bit of experimentation, most likely, to get the effect right/not too bright or too soft.

3. heip

heip TPF Noob!

Thanks for your reply, I'll try that.

4. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    There is a VP-1 Variable Power control accessory available for this flash. That's how Vivitar recommends you do it.

I have the 285HV which is similar, but I'm not familiar with the 283. Is it all auto? How do you use it normally?

Either you should be able to set the ISO on the flash for a faster or slower film speed to get it to over or under expose. Or there is an f/stop guide, in which case you would set the f/stop under or over to adjust exposure.