Football - Steaming Pile of Noisy junk

Thanks guys and gals I feel a little better about the end result.

I think you did one hell of a good job with an f/5.6 lens. My Gawd... f/5.6 has not been a "fast lens" since the 1920's man! You did okay, got good bits of action, all at f/5.6, which is dog-slow! I think these are one hell of a good example of working around a limitation. Yes, they are a bit weak color-wise due to the high ISO, and a bit watercolor-y due to NR or whatever, but really, pretty good. I've seen MUCH worse high school night football stuff over many decades from many different shooters. Overall, you took a lens that's really, badly suited to night high school football and managed to string together a good number of passable shots. High school fields often have the absolute shi*****t light possible, so the way you worked around the f/5.6 limitation makes these actually impressive to me.

I think there's a point too where going with a shorter lens, like 135 f/2, and cropping, makes a lot more sense. Of course, you don't get that telephoto look, and the backgrounds behind the action are widened out quite a bit too. But hey, this was a great way to convince yourself of the need for an f/2.8 tele, being hamstrung at f/5.6.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. . I might try the 7-200 2.8 on the 7d and see if they yields good results.

I used my 5D3 with the 70-200 2.8 IS II last week at grandsons football game, and immediately missed the longer crop of my 7D1

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk Pro

I used my 5D3 with the 70-200 2.8 IS II last week at grandsons football game, and immediately missed the longer crop of my 7D1

Where were you shooting from, field or stands?

I am absolutely jealous that you can shoot night games at ISO 6400. All mine have been 12800 or 16000. Either way, nicely done!!

Edit: Your noise is a personal beat down. Your photos are completely acceptable.

Where were you shooting from, field or stands?
From stands.

I'm in the stands also. I find myself switching back and forth from horizontal to vertical constantly (depending on the distance of the action) when using the 300mm. The versatility of the 70-200 just works - most of the time.

I'd stay home if I had to shoot at my field at f/5.6 !!!!!!

These are more than acceptable noise wise, I've been shooting with shutter speeds between 400-650 with ISO ranging from 4000 to 8000 and that's at f/2.8 lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back