Footprints in the Sand

abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
400-9408.jpg

The footprints definitely lead your eye into the shot and up to that beautifully undulating horizon. Nicely done.

Nice! Are those human footprints?

I really like how the foot prints focus and lead the eyes.

Thank you. I believe they may be kangaroo rat footprints. Notice the tail line in the middle and two small indents even at the front (rat hopping away). I got a tracks book somewhere around here. I'll dig it up later.

The footprints definitely lead your eye into the shot and up to that beautifully undulating horizon. Nicely done.

Thank you. Love that Death Valley.

Thanks for the comments everyone. They're most appreciated.

The footprints in the sand are probably from a Merriam's kangaroo rat, a nocturnal, granivorous (seed eating) creature prefering a sparse to moderate canopy in fine to coarse sands. In the spring the little rat will eat leafy material, and when times get tough, arthropods.

Notice the footprints are evenly paired indicating a jumping movement similar to a kangaroo. The tail, also used for balance makes the mark seen in the middle of each set of tracks (actually the tiny footprints aren't seen in this size image, just the tail track). I found it interesting that the rat appeared to have investigated the little stick in the foreground as a possible source of food.

They obtain water through metabolic processes meaning they do not require drinking water- moisture is obtained solely from food sources.

They live in holes burrowed in the ground near hummocks (bunches) of creosote. When walking through the dunes it is important to watch (rather than wandering dumb-foundly) where one steps, as the burrows can be extensive, and easily destroyed by the weight of a human's step.

great shot, was not expecting that!

Every journey starts with a step forward... or something like that. Very inspirational.

The title is from a Christian inspirational poem I didn't seem to understand for years. I think I get it now, but thought it was a cool play on a religious cliche.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back