"Footprints Within The Recesses Of Our Minds, Souls & Hearts...We Will Never Forget..." (WTC)

enezdez

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
D750
South Footprint (1st Picture/Print)
f/7.1
ISO 640
1/125 Sec.
24 - 70 mm - f/2.8G
24 mm

untitled-18.jpg

North Footprint (2nd Picture/Print)
f/7.1
ISO 160
1/125 Sec.
24 - 70 mm - f/2.8G
28 mm

untitled-24.jpg

"Forget Me Not" (3rd Picture/Print)
f/2.8
ISO 360
1/125 Sec.
24 - 70 mm - f/2.8G
70 mm

untitled-7.jpg

Thanks For Looking Any Comments/Criticism Will Be Appreciated.

Enezdez

Explanation(s) wouldn't go amiss on the first two; with respect to the third. Okay, you've tried selective colouring, you've posted a selectively coloured image. It's out of your system, let us never speak of it again.

I don't mean to start any trouble, but what's the issue with selective coloring - why is that a no-no? I really would like to learn, I haven't had any formal training since high school & that was film over thirty years ago. lol I just flying by the seats of my pants here, so can someone please elaborate on selective coloring???

Thank You,

Enezdez

Its a bit of a clichè nowadays. Often it's the case where if the shot is strong enough it'll stand up enough on its own. A lot of new photographers seem to make the mistake of thinking that selective colour will make anything interesting, so we see a lot of utter gash that's had selective colour applied.

I think in the whole time I've been interested in photography I've seen 2 selective colour shots that were good.

I don't mean to start any trouble, but what's the issue with selective coloring - why is that a no-no? I really would like to learn, I haven't had any formal training since high school & that was film over thirty years ago. lol I just flying by the seats of my pants here, so can someone please elaborate on selective coloring???

Thank You,

Enezdez
In addition to Pete's explanation, SC is first and foremost an advertising technique and not an artistic one. It is meant to emphasize something in a scene; usually the product being advertised, and it's soooo often overdone, mainly because software makes it so easy. If you look at the image you've posted, and think about it objectively; what is achieved, artistically by turning the green foliage to grey foliage? Honestly? I don't feel it enhances the image one bit.

I have had two cameras that allowed me to do selective coloring (and now my D7100) but I have always resisted the temptation!

Its a bit of a clichè nowadays. Often it's the case where if the shot is strong enough it'll stand up enough on its own. A lot of new photographers seem to make the mistake of thinking that selective colour will make anything interesting, so we see a lot of utter gash that's had selective colour applied.

I think in the whole time I've been interested in photography I've seen 2 selective colour shots that were good.

Thank You,

Enezdez
In addition to Pete's explanation, SC is first and foremost an advertising technique and not an artistic one. It is meant to emphasize something in a scene; usually the product being advertised, and it's soooo often overdone, mainly because software makes it so easy. If you look at the image you've posted, and think about it objectively; what is achieved, artistically by turning the green foliage to grey foliage? Honestly? I don't feel it enhances the image one bit.

I want to thank Pete for taking the time from his busy schedule for informing/providing the information behind Selective Coloring instead of simply chiding me...Secondly, I also was unaware Selective Coloring is an advertising technique and not an artistic one. I agree by itself turning the green foliage grey has no artistic value. However, I felt when bundled with all three pictures and not individually, it made sense. My intentions, however poor, I may have executed the composition/matter was to have the red of the flower be representative of the innocent blood spilled on that horrific day. I was inspired by the little blonde girl in Schindler's List.

Best Regards,

Enezdez

Most reactions

New Topics

Back