For anyone who has a DSLR and a SLR . . .

cleary71

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was just wondering for those of you who have both a DSLR and a SLR, when or under what conditions do you decide to use one camera over the other? Thanks!

In 35mm, the only time I'll use film if it's under extreme low light (pushing 3200 to 6400, etc.) or the person I'm taking the pictures for explicitly wants film images. I'll still use roll film when called for, like a 6x7 or Holga.

Well the other day when my 10D litterally had frost on it and died. . .

Ya I grabbed the trusty old film slinger :oops:

Otherwise it's pretty much just a mood thing or a test to make sure I still have a clue in the real world outside of the digital forgiveness of Photoshop :lol:

Hmm, good question. I think the film comes out looking better because it's supposedly equivelant to a 19metapixal Digital. I also like the "tradition" of it. It's just more familiar to me. It's funny when I take pictures of kids. They always want me to "show them the picture on the back of the camera".
The major downside is the film developement. For me it runs about 10 bucks a roll. On average I shoot about 6 rolls a week trying to learn more and to hopefully someday capture that great shot. Unfortunately most of my pictures look good through the viewfinder and like crappola once they are printed and I see what I REALLY took a picture of. It's also a pain in the butt to try to edit. You gotta develop the film and scan it in before you can even start with the editing. And of course you have to wait at least an hour to see just how messed up your settings are. :lol:

Digitals are great for the whole ease factor. You aren't burning film. It's easy to get into your computer. You always know what camera settings you were using when you took the picture. But there are a lot of digitals out there and it seems like the ones that are good are super expensive.

Owning and using both I'm gonna say it's more a prefernce thing. You can get a good SLR for half the price of a good Digital, but you will pay the difference in film developement and time. Or you can go and spend twice as much on the digital and pretty much be done with paying for the basics.

Honestly, I can't tell the much difference in our two cameras, picture wise.

well i must say, personally i am really excited by the D70, as long as it continues to function reliably and capture images well i shall continue NOT having 35mm film developed. as far as image quality i am comfortable in stating flatly that the current DSLR is easily the equal of consumer grade color print film.

I own a film camera mainly as an item of interest and only use it when the mood takes me.
Typically it'll be taken along as a secondary camera when checking out hiking areas and parks etc.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back