For Home Use: SB-600 or SB-900

PhotoXopher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lightartisan.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I know the general consensus will be the SB-900, but at over twice the cost I have to question its true real life benefits over the SB-600.

For a non-professional will the SB-600 suffice?

I guess I should know, since I've had a couple (along with the SB-400). But I never used it (SB-600) enough to really judge its performance. I still have and enjoy my SB-400 which serves it's intended purpose, however there are times I wish I had a little more power and flexibility in my shots (such as off camera without a cord).

Next, with the D300s - would it be possible to use my popup flash as a catch light along with the SB-600 or SB-900?

Last question regarding this, does the SB-600 have enough power to use something like a Gary Fong Light Sphere?

I was just about to post the same thing. I need something little, I hate to use flash ever, but my little pop up just doesn't cut it when I absolutely have to use something.

I have the SB600 and love it. I'm not really familiar with the SB900. The only potential issue I have run into is off-camera operation...I can't with the D40 (and F/N90) unless I use a cable, get the SU800 or get a radio set. So far it hasn't been a problem for me, but eventually, I'm going to want to move the flash off to the side. I'm an amateur and have yet to do anything "fancy."

Charlie

Do yourself a favor.

Used SB-800

I've bought a couple of used units from Adorama without a hitch.

Thought about that as well... is the added cost worth it?

What are the real world benefits? There's a guy selling one locally for $260, so it wouldn't cost me much more than an SB-600 I guess. The only thing he says is 'wrong' with it is that the rubber piece in front is missing, I assume that's the external power connection cover.

I would grab that at 260 over a new sb-600 RIGHT NOW! The sb-800 has quite a bit more power. I want an sb-600, but only because it is a lot cheaper than sb-800's around here. I have an sb-800 and want a second flash. If I could find an sb-800 for 260 I would go to the ATM and meet the person, even if it were 3am. Around here used they go for 350+ For that, I'd rather have two used sb-600's.

Wow, I post this, then do a craigslist search and find a scratch and dent model with no accessories for $220! Hopefully will pick it up tonight! Not sure why it didn't come up when I did a general nikon search, had to specify sb-800. Oh well, guess there are deals out there!

I recently bought an SB 600 and find that when I get it to fire ontime it is great. I find that the recycle time takes quite a bit at times. Granted, I am brand new at it, have not read the manual and really figured it out yet... I am still learning what settings work best for what shots etc..

Quick question-do you find that your SB takes a long time to gear up for the flash?

Great tips in here!
N.gif

NOYZE: To answer your question, yes the sb-600 is PLENTY of flash to use the GF diffuser. I mean plenty. There are many times that I use the sb-600 and GF and it's WAY too bright.

I personally wouldn't by the sb-900 because I think that having two sb-600's for around the same price is more beneficial. Yea the sb-900 is a lil more powerful, has more manual settings, and all in all is better. However if you have two sb-600's imagine the possibilities!

Quick question-do you find that your SB takes a long time to gear up for the flash?
For me, the initial start up is fine. Sometimes I'll "outshoot" it. The type of batteries you use makes a difference - I'm going to pick up some rechargeable NiMH since those have a faster refresh time. I've been shooting mostly B&W film in daylight recently and haven't been using the flash much - my 15 yo has it for now.

Charlie

I had been looking at the SB-600 for my D90. I mainly do landscape stuff but have recently felt the need for a good flash for indoor photography and other low-light situations. Am I right in understanding that the sb-600 or 800 are both wireless and may be used on or off camera? Also that the off camera flash will fire when it senses the flash from the camera?

That's basically right... the flash sends signals though, not just a trigger by flash.

I had been looking at the SB-600 for my D90. I mainly do landscape stuff but have recently felt the need for a good flash for indoor photography and other low-light situations. Am I right in understanding that the sb-600 or 800 are both wireless and may be used on or off camera? Also that the off camera flash will fire when it senses the flash from the camera?
If your camera has Nikon's CLS, though the SB-800 has SU-4 mode that will let it trigger off any flash of light, even the flash from someone elses camera.

Another way to trigger OCF (off-camera-flash) is with a radio trigger. CLS is mostly a line of sight system, radio isn't. You can pick up radio triggering systems on eBay for as little as $30.00.

Most reactions

Back