For Landscape...

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by yais, Jul 24, 2007.

1. yais

yais TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm a beginning photographer, well kinda, I bought a FujiFilm FinePix s5200 about a year ago after borrowing my moms sony(i forget what it was, just some random camera) for ages to take pictures. I don't really know anything about photography, I mainly take pictures and edit them in photoshop and call it a day, though recently I have taken up more interest in photography and am interested in making a career out of it and just had some general questions...

Seeing as how most of the photography I do is either macro or landscapes but also sometimes waterscapes I was wondering if there are any cameras out there that are particularly useful in this area. Price Range: $400-650, with the possiblity of buying nice lenses down the road. I'm not looking for a camera to get by on, but one that will last me a while longer and will give me good photos and if its something really nice that will, I'd be willing to go up to $900 but... I'm going to school and... can't really afford to not save money heh.

I am also looking at buying a photo printer since, I have no room for a dark room and neither Walgreens nor and Kodak processesing kiosk have produced any spectacular results(not that I would expect good results from those sorts of things). Price Range: $100-200.

I was thinking...
    Camera: Canon EOS 350D
    Printer: Canon Pixma iP6700D

Anyway, like I said, I'm new to all the specifics, be gentle =p

2. jon_k

jon_k TPF Noob!

North Richland Hills (Ft. Worth suburb) TX
    Photos OK to edit
    The choice of camera isn't bad. Theres other people here who use it.

Two things, you say you can't afford a darkroom. With digital there is no darkroom. Everything is printed digitally for digital prints I think. I know with film you'd use an enlarger and photo sensitive paper and fix the paper for your prints, but they don't do that these days for digital prints.

I don't think I'd buy the printer though. Just experiment with online printers and find a good one. You upload your photos online, they print and mail them to you. Convienent!

3. yais

yais TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks, yeah the darkroom thing, I don't know what I was trying to say haha.

I know there are online printing places, and if anyone has some suggestions that'd be great but I'll look that up. The main reason I was thinking about my own printer is just so I can test things out instantly and cut and crop and know right away what its going to look like to prepare for art shows on the weekends and not be screwed if a photo comes out wrong or I am just unhappy with it. Then the shipping too if they charge for that, but I'll definately look into it.

Thanks much!

4. jstuedle

jstuedle No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Having your own printer is great, but expensive. Ink and high quality photo paper is expensive. If you are on a budget, and what student isn't, the online places are generally cheaper. If speed is an issue, try the Fuji system at Wal-mart or Costco. They can make decent prints, but not pro quality. There price is still about the same or a little cheaper than printing yourself.

Oh, and welcome to the TPF, glad you found us. Let us know what you decide. We are all here for the same reasons, so don't be shy.

5. yais

yais TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't plan on making alot of prints but its just so frustraiting waiting, I'm one of the most impatient people I know haha... not that thats a good thing!

I did try the Kiosk at Wal-Mart and the pictures are disgusting and I hate the matte finish only thing, glossy looks really nice when I print sky pictures and such, and I think I have a fairly decent amount of income atm to the point where I could afford a decent printer, if there is one below $200-250. All we have at wal-mart and other places around here is kodak kiosks =/.

Thanks for the welcome =p I only recently found out I had an account here hahaha. GG me!

6. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Get something like a Rebel or D40 kit, print at costco, and spend the money you save on software.