For mad scientists only!

cryseye

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
THE EXPERIMENT:
Take pix of a book, page by page. Load the memory card into my portable DVD player, allowing me to read the book...kind of like the new Kindle bookreader.
EQUIPMENT:
*PANASONIC PSGV-150; ZOOM; MANUAL FOCUS; FLASH; TRIPOD
*TOSHIBA SD-P2900SN; 800 X 480 SCREEN RES.; MEMORY CARD READER; ROTATEABLE VIEW ANGLES; ZOOM
I have ascertained that the page images are readable if I first display each page on it's side, to better fit the DVD player widescreen, and take advantage of the 800H res. However, I do not want to cock my head all day in order to read them (my neck may lock in that position....). Nor do I want to set my DVD player on one end, like the new "Kindle" bookreader, in order to easily read the clear image.
I have tried various settings, but it seems to ultimately come down to the screen res of the end device, the 800 x 480 screen res DVD player.
Any ideas on how to accomplish what I want?:D

IMO, it looks like it would take less time and be far less of a hassle to just read the book.

LOL! In the time it would take you to photograph all the pages of a book, you could probably have a fourth of it read!

Say you've got a 300 page book. Say it takes 30 seconds to take a picture of each page (This would included turning each page and you're probably going to have to have some sort of weight holding the page down, so I think this is a pretty conservative estimate)

30 sec x 300 pages=9000 seconds
9000/60 sec=150 minutes

That's 2 and a half hours of photographing pages.

I guess I just don't see the point...

Read the book! Save yourself a lot of time and hassle photographing every page, plus you may be infringing the Author's or somebody else's copyright by reproducing the text.

yeah, copyright may very well be an issue here. As far as digitalizing books go: your idea takes a lot of time. And the only advantage I see is if you want to take, oh say, 20 books with you on vacation. One dvd-player would be easier to take along then then 20 books in your suitcase. But is it really worth the effort?

pascal

Someone done that with the new harry potter book(before it was released), took a pic of EVERY SINGLE PAGE and uploaded it on the internet.

in the end they all had exif data and he got arrested

Some company came out with this little hand held book reader where you could download a book off of their website and then upload it to the gadget where you scroll through pages. It's like the same size as a I-phone

well, as a scientist i am used to read electronically ... also there is electronic paper ;) very useful if you do not want to carry tons of real paper around.

oh, it appears cheaper over here .... must be the weak dollar.

Most reactions

Back