For Moms (but people who are not moms can give their two cents also :D )

his4ever

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.stonecafecreations.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok... So I am really, really interested in making photography a major hobby. (I had 5 hobbies from my list to chose from). 9 months ago I became a mommy, and I am finding it hard to get out and practice and get better. (I am also hopeing to take some classes soon). I noticed some of the great pictures you mom's out there take and I was wondering... how do you find the time? And do you have any other suggestions? Thanks! :)

I'm not a mommy, but I am a daddy of a 14 month old daughter. It's a challenge to find time to take pictures sometimes, and I don't do it nearly as often as I'd like. When my daughter was born I took off from work for 3 months to bond with her and just spend time w/ her. My wife took off 3 months as well and was a stay at home mom until she was 3 months old, then I started my time off. We would spend the day playing (as much as she was able to at that point) and taking pics. I got hundreds of her. I also would do some still life photography after she and my wife went to bed and all of the household chores and things were taken care of. I still like to get out and do landscape pics when time allows but that takes a great bit more organization and planning. In the meantime, there are always precious moments each day that are worthy of taking pics of and you have a very captive audience until the little ones gets old enough to tell you she doesn't want to be in front of the camera anymore!

As annoying and clumsy as this sounds: have your camera with you. You're going to be carrying a lot of crap around anyway, may as well bring your camera - regardless of how big it is. I have a 2-year old and a 3-year old, and my wife and I are adamant about not allowing our kids to become a catch-all excuse for capitulation to life. We love our kids, and we like being multi-faceted adults. That's easy to say and hard to do, but you need to be a role model, and make sure you have a fulfilled life. The creativity inherent to photography could be one part of that. And don't think "I'll pick it back up later when they're a little older..." You won't, or at least not until they're in college and you don't know where the time went.

Well as a mommy I take alot of photos of my kids. I actually aim at portraits instead of just snapshots. At least your working at it if portraits aren't your thing. :)

Thank you all for your thoughts so far. I takes lots of pics of my little guy (all our realtives are very far away). I have been trying my hand at the whole portrate thing... even have done it for another mom (which was so much fun and we got three great pics out of it!!). I try to remeber the camera when I am out... do you all take all of you lenes? Or do you just bring your camera for that "just in case" photo opprotunity? Thanks!

Baby comes with me! (mostly - hes 5 months old now)) The pram holds a multitude of thing!

I generally just try and leave on the 50mm 1.4 prime lens that I have. It's too much trouble wagging around a bunch of klunky lenses and I don't have the time to keep switching them around. Besides, my little one is not going to be far enough away from me to necessitate strapping on the 70-200mm lens. The 50mm is best for portraits anyway, and is a great lens for me.

I just bring one lens attached to the camera, and a spare battery.

It's not easy, that's for sure :) I have three children ages 7, 5 and one who is almost a year old. I don't take as many pictures of them as I would like becuase it never fails that I'm about to take some and one of them is getting into trouble somwhere else in the house! However, I do try to have the camera handy and I make sure it always has a card and charged batteries in it. If we go for a walk I'll bring it then, too. I am also teaching my oldest about photography so it's fun to shoot with him and see the world from his point of view. You can always take shots around the house while your baby naps or while you play outside. If it's something you're really interested in taking the classes sounds like a great idea! Or even having someone watch the baby for a few hours while you get out to shoot would be good too :D

ETA: When I go out I usually put the camera bag in the bottom of the stroller or wear it (it's a backpack style). I keep the 50mm on the camera but I do like the 70-200 for if my older children are playing and I want to get a closer shot. At this age it's easier to get pictures when they don't know I am taking them ;)

Most reactions

Back