For portraits do you use a flash in daylight also?

Okay... show me what you recorded this morning while you were in the kitchen having breakfast.

;-)
That's an issue of re-displaying, not recording. I simply don't own a printer that takes brain formatted files. Doesn't mean it isn't recorded.
But I don't NEED a printer to eveluate the naturalness of an image. >>I<< can visualize my recorded images in my own mind, and easily compare them to prints from a camera, and compare the lighting. Thus, the importance and relevance of natural looking lighting in photograph prints.
Fair point!

Ahh.. I see. I get it now.

Just curious derrel, why would you not want to put the flash opposite the sun? The subject will have a nice rim light from the sun, the trees in the background will have the shadow face facing you, the subject will not squint looking at the sun. If I turn off the flash, this set up will yield a nice photo too. I want that dark background.

I think you're totally mis-reading what I wrote. I specifically discussed a situation in which there are shadows cast one way in the background, and then shadows cast by a flash that lights the foreground from the opposite direction; when there are background shadows going in "one direction", and then foreground shadows go in the opposite direction, it looks like a noob shot it because the lights are in direct conflict with one another. That looks amateurish, at best, and ridiculous at worst.

I know what you mean; you're talking about today's fairly standard outdoor portraiture shooter's method of using the sun as a rim-light/back light/side-light source, and then using flash as a way to fill-in the shadows: position family at X spot, with sun behind or off to the side: fill in shadowed side with flash to create basic light source for faces,which are in shadow, allow the over-exposed edges of the people to create a bright, separation light; bonus points if background has a dark area so that family stands out more.

Two totally different situations.

Another example of a lighting mess: Joe Photog lights background with light blasting in from one side; lights subject with light coming in strongly from opposite side. Hair light appears from opposite side of main light. Photo looks like a confused mess. Light blasting in from three directions. It just looks contrived, or faked...

I am just constantly moving at my shoot. And often RUNNING after children LOL.

Get a flash bracket. (?)

Yes, it adds weight and size.

Why would I spend 25 secs trying to explain what I said when it is obvious that 99.99% of responders here have no interest in understanding any of it.

As for why i don't post any example of good stuff, you may want to just read my Intro post.

You all may want to learn how to read.

As for why i don't post any example of good stuff, you may want to just read my Intro post.

In a parallel universe, where things said mean the opposite of what is intended, I believe the phrase would be:

Such substance. Much expertise. Very wow.

But who knows guys, the Sun God could be right. Who are we to ask for evidence of his masterful lighting?

That is a fine-looking cat! But...it looks like it's fake. ;-)

Your problem, 3js, is that you want your opinion to be objectively true. It's not, it's an opinion.

I may not be a stellar photographer, but do I pride myself on my ability to read printed English. Your introductory post:

Ex photo journalist now turning pig farmer I hope to learn to use the digital SLR I bought a couple years ago, lol. I worked with film exclusively and it's been a while. I'm having a hard time getting into the digital world and hope to find some incentive here...

And if I do, you'll be blessed with images of my pigs and farm :D

I see nothing in there that explains why you can't "show us how it should be done". If you're going to say that you do not have any digital files of your images, I should think that the small cost of scanning a couple of your [I assume] world-class images and posting them would be well worth it in order to put us in our place. Heck, you could even take digital pictures of them, and I or another member will be glad to walk you through the process of posting them.

I'm not sure which one is the most full of S#!% there tirediron, but I suspect that it is not the pigs.

What an amazing load of bull!

Without a frame of reference, we can't tell what you think is a load of bull.

Please reply with quote.

Here are some videos to watch in which Joe McNally uses flash during daylight outdoors. 6 Lighting Tutorials from Joe McNally

And by the way, as far as MATCHING the direction of flash with actual daylight, note what he says in the second video [EzyBox Hotshoe], beginning at the 2:55 mark...just something to note...the idea of creating flash shadows that align with/coordinate with/echo the existing light's main direction is not just something somebody here made up utterly out of thin air...it's a fairly common concept among people who have studied photographic lighting

Joe McNally Ezybox Hotshoe (LL LR2462JM) from Lastolite on Vimeo

Most reactions

Back