For RC Plane enthusiasts...if there are any here

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by caspertodd, May 13, 2008.

1. caspertodd

caspertodd TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
  2. mrodgers

mrodgers No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
  3. caspertodd

caspertodd TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah, I had seen that video a little while back and looked everywhere to see if it was for sale. This is the first time that I had actually seen it for sale. Just might have to save up some cash for it...but I have to get my 70-200mm f2.8L IS lens first...gotta keep my priorities straight ;).

4. mrodgers

Photos OK to edit
    Indeed, priority #1 is RC, hehehe.

Need some cash for the initial outlay for RC. Currently just have an Aerobird Challenger that seen it's final flight with the probably 150th crash and a few micro Air Hogs stuff.

$549 seems like a steal considering VR's headset was $699 back then. I doubt that system is set on a gyro though like VRflyer's is, though I didn't look that closely at the listed equipment. A gyro would be a must have so that you can pan the view from within the cockpit. EDIT: Nope, no gyro in the Hobby-Lobby setup. Just a static mount. Boooorinnnng, LOL.

5. caspertodd

caspertodd TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    :lol:

I am flying a couple slow sticks and a GWS Corsair (which is difficult for me to fly because it wants to drop from the sky when I turn). I want to get me a 4 channel plane, but most of them seem to be balsa, and I just don't have the patience for that. I do love flying though!

6. mrodgers

Photos OK to edit
    Kind of falling away from photography here, but at least it's in the off-topic section of the forum.....

Google search, or better, search at RCGroups.com, for GWS E-Starter. From what I understand, it is fantastic for the beginner to ailerons. It is made from foam, I don't think straight EPP, but a combination of EPP and EPS, and the wing has a bit of dihedral in it so the plane does attempt to right it's self. That's what I plan on getting sometime in the future.

Warbirds are difficult to fly because you have to be actively flying all the time. I do wish to get into them in the far future.

Or, you can buy all the necessary equipment and buy some of that 1/4 inch foam board you can get a Lowes for wrapping houses. There's an entire forum section at RCGroups on building airframes from the foam board.

Ok, to keep it pertaining to photography here, this is the local airfield I visit with my daughter for their annual show.

2006 BAMS FunFly

2007 BAMS FunFly

I hope to get some great shots this year since I have a much better camera with both manual control, better zoom, better knowledge of photography, and better video capabilities.

7. PlasticSpanner

PlasticSpanner TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Showing my age here!!!

I remember the days when planes were all scratch built from balsa and tissue/dope! None of this foam board or solarfilm!

Most interesting plane i built & flew was a Blackburn 1912 monoplane with a 1.5cc diesel engine spinning a 9" prop! Everything about it was so slow and lathargic but it was 100% flying all the time!

I race RC cars now. It's a lot cheaper than planes & boats!

8. caspertodd

caspertodd TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

9. caspertodd

caspertodd TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think that is exactly what I am looking for. I may have to get that. GWS really seems to be priced right for what you get.

I would love to go to an airfield some time. They only have one around here that I know about, and I have only seen one person on it. We generally just go to a large park or something to fly. I love to watch other people though (it is a lot less stressful!) I'm sure you and your daughter have a great time at the field! My daughter is almost 3, so she is a little young for it, but I will get her involved in it soon enough I'm sure. Post some of those pictures here when you get them, I would love to see them.