For Space Photographers

HAHahahh that register article is classic.

Unfortunately I don't think you'll see it. The Moon is tidally locked to the Earth so that the same side always faces the planet. The side we see is the side with the dark patches. LCROSS will bomb the Cabeus crater which is on the far side of the moon at the south pole.

Even with a decent telescope I don't think we'll see it from earth, but I could be wrong, this is just my quick analysis of the mission and not something I read somewhere or can reference.

Unfortunately I don't think you'll see it. The Moon is tidally locked to the Earth so that the same side always faces the planet. The side we see is the side with the dark patches. LCROSS will bomb the Cabeus crater which is on the far side of the moon at the south pole.

Even with a decent telescope I don't think we'll see it from earth, but I could be wrong, this is just my quick analysis of the mission and not something I read somewhere or can reference.

The impact will be in Cabeus A, which is on the near side, southeast of Tycho. If the weather is clear, I'll have the telescope out.

LCROSS - Impact

NASA - LCROSS

Even with a decent telescope I don't think we'll see it from earth, but I could be wrong, this is just my quick analysis of the mission and not something I read somewhere or ca♠n reference.
According to the info provided by NASA, backyard observers will be able to see it with a decent telescope (depending on where they are located on the planet at the time of the impact, of course):

NASA - Observations and Impact Timing

Hmmm you're right. I was using Google Earth to locate it. Seems if you angle it just right Cabeus is actually on the very edge of near / far side so it would be visible. I had the moon angled slightly wrong when I checked it the first time round.

Now if only I had a decent telescope and a plane ticket to America :(

Hmmm you're right. I was using Google Earth to locate it. Seems if you angle it just right Cabeus is actually on the very edge of near / far side so it would be visible. I had the moon angled slightly wrong when I checked it the first time round.

Now if only I had a decent telescope and a plane ticket to America :(

They've timed it so it's visible from Hawai'i's telescopes. It would make no sense to do that and then have it on the far side of the moon.

"imperialists colonizing the moon without regard to "indigenous" people?
WTF?....how many indigenous people live on the moon? Maybe they'll just sell us a small chunk of it....wonder what the going rate for "moon acerage" is these days.....:lol::lmao::lol:

J.:mrgreen:

assuming its about same as the going rate for rainforest, a couple of beers should do the trick

For those who don't have a 10" telescope the impact will be streamed on Nasa TV starting 06:15 EDT (GMT-4) or for those Australians on this forum 20:15 AEST (GMT+10)

Steams are here in windows media format:
NASA TV 640x480 1mbps
NASA TV 480x360 500kbps
NASA TV 320x240 200 kbps

Most reactions

Back