??? for the next time & salvaging these...

kundalini

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've decided to make this old barn my "subject" for a while. She never complains, always shows up when I'm ready and the sitting fee is reasonable. This is my first attempt in low light, sunset was at 7:58. A storm blew thru a little earlier, had just stopped raining.

With time, practice and patience I know something will come out from this old girl, but would appreciate any tips on how to get more detail on the front of the barn without losing the sky for the next time.

Secondly, I just got a copy of PS2 without any manuals (not my usual mode and will eventually get right). Can someone explain a few functions which will allow me to get the barn details without losing the sky.

1. EXIF data: Shutter Speed=10/200, Aperture=f/4.8, FL=35, Time=7:56
DSC_0007.jpg
[/IMG]

2. EXIF data: Shutter Speed=50/10, Aperture=f/14, FL=18, Time=8:15
DSC_0029.jpg
[/IMG]

Cheers....

The images aren't showing up, you need to fix your image tags.
Dug

Same comments as above, but hopefully this time the images appear. My bad.

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

It looks like you'll have to do multiexposures. One for the sky and one for the barn, then blend them. As for PS, I'd get the version with the manuals, it's worth it....

Using photoshop to "save" the pictures you will want to use the dodge and burn tools. These will allow you to lighten and darken individual areas of a photo. Using Lightroom (all I have on this computer) you would want to work with recovery and fill light, which allows you lighten darker areas of the picture.
The shadows are too underexposed to cleanly recover, but this is what happens using recovery and fill light in Lightroom.
TestPicEdit.jpg

Was this on your D80 because it has a LOT of noise. What ISO setting was it on?

Can you go back at sunset? I think it'd make a good silhouette at sunset, but also shoot it when the sun is behind you at that time of day. It might also look better if you can shoot from further away so you're not looking up at the barn, but more level with it.

Was this on your D80 because it has a LOT of noise. What ISO setting was it on?

I was shooting hummingbirds prior to taking the series of the barn. Man, they're hard little buggers to catch. ISO=1600, I forgot to check. Suggestion of what to set the ISO at?

Can you go back at sunset? I think it'd make a good silhouette at sunset, but also shoot it when the sun is behind you at that time of day. It might also look better if you can shoot from further away so you're not looking up at the barn, but more level with it.

It was an intense sunset as I was driving past this barn that caught my eye. Unfortunately, the weather and lighting conditions have not cooperated since. Really hot and hazy lately. That's one reason I've tried to take shots after sunset so the sky has some color. There is a nightlight behind my left shoulder (I am using a tripod) that comes into play and puts an orange cast in the later shots - guessing sodium vapor??. From that POV, there are some obstructions, but I'll try backing up as much as possible.

I shot this a few days ago, but not sure about how the treeline in the background bisects the structure.
DSC_0099a.jpg

The last shot is much better! A perfect example of using the dodge tool would be to selectively lighten the area under the overhang. Leave it in shadow, but get the far left side to look a little more like the right.

If you have time, back up and take a shot of the whole barn and the area around it from multiple angles. Don't worry about composure, just information. Maybe we can help you build a better shot, and give you some new ideas.

Good work!

Keith

Well, I had to go out of town, the weather and lighting has been lousy lately, my back went out and I couldn't lug my gear around.....can you tell I used to play golf?

As XJBaylor suggested, I've gone back and taken a few more shots around this old barn. It really has character to me, so I want to eventually get something worth hanging on the wall. I am patient for the right conditions. Maybe these POV can give you an idea if angles to concentrate on. Apologies for the numbers.

DSC_0416_edited-1.jpg

DSC_0224_edited-1.jpg

DSC_0227_edited-1.jpg

DSC_0423_edited-2.jpg

5. This is one I want to concentrate on. Getting the sunset thru the window or stage right with the godrays. Can't get the settings right.
DSC_0429_edited-1.jpg

6. I like this also.
DSC_0547_edited-1.jpg

Thanks for any tips.

I think you have picked a great subject. You will be able to learn a lot about exposure, dynamic range, composition, etc. I really like the colors you were able to get in the inside shot. I also really like the texture you were able to get in the earlier B&W. Keep working on composition and framing, and I think you will be able to get something you are happy with soon. Try to get out there for a few sunrises and sunsets and see which light works better. Both facing into, and away from, the light.

Good luck, and I commend you for trying to work at getting better by giving yourself a static frame of reference.

Keith

I think you have picked a great subject. You will be able to learn a lot about exposure, dynamic range, composition, etc. I really like the colors you were able to get in the inside shot. I also really like the texture you were able to get in the earlier B&W. Keep working on composition and framing, and I think you will be able to get something you are happy with soon. Try to get out there for a few sunrises and sunsets and see which light works better. Both facing into, and away from, the light.

Thanks. I got the idea from reading threads in TPF to pick one subject. I've taken over 300 shots of this barn trying to work on camera settings. I have a couple that I like, but know it's not exactly what I want. As so many people have said, Practice, Practice, Practice. Just waiting for Mother Nature to do her magic.

It seems everytime I go there something different catches my eye, like shooting from the inside out for instance. First time I thought of it was yesterday. I setup my SB-600 facing me on the floor about two feet in front, two feet to the right and bounced it off a board that was about one foot away from the flash. That result, which I like also, has spawned several new ideas.

Most reactions

Back