For what reasons and how often is a photographer sued?

SteveKelly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Opening up shop in the next year or so. Basement is under cunstruction for a studio. I will also be doing weddings. I have been a second shooter to about a half dozen weddings and have done 4 on my own for family and friends - just a little background-.
I am looking into insurance now, but was just curious on how often photgraphers are actually sued! Is this a common occurence and why? For what reasons (in all areas of photography)?

If you are asking whether it is a good idea to do it without insurance, the answer is no.

I pay about $600 per year with hill and usher. They cover my equipment, liability and error and omission.

You can get sued with a lot of things. I have not been sued before but the most common is being sued because b&g do not like the result.

There are other things you can get sued on.. for example you may be shooting and mistakenly back up to their wedding cake. They may sue you for ruining their wedding. Or what if you are shooting and fall into the river along with your back up cameras. Now you cant cover the wedding.

The list is endless. It is better to be safe than sorry.

I don't know anyone personally who's been sued, but in today's litigious society, it's only a matter of time. People can, and do, sue for anything, and no matter how right you are and how wrong they are, it still hurts the wallet.

Whatever happened to the wedding photographer that was being sued for $300k

You'll also find there are those who will threaten suing you without much provocation. Having an established relationship an setup with a local lawyer means that you'll be ready to deal with any hint of threat by going straight through official channels directly. Sometimes a stiff worded letter can end things before they get more serious (and a letter is a lot cheaper than having to attend court even if its only the small claims court).

The reasons and the frequency a photographer is sued is usually directly proportional to a photographer's honesty, their ability to run a business in a consistent manner, the quality of their contract, and their ability to deal effectively with customers.

It can be as simple as you get into an accident and never made it to the wedding to take pictures. They will try to sue you more than the contracted amount.

If I'd been worried about getting sued, I probably never would've hung my shingle out.

Honestly, that's something I've never really even given a passing thought to...

I have always been highly successful in court, so I don't worry about it.

Don't here about to many getting sued.....but in this crazy world, COVER YOU ASS>>>>>!!!!!!!

I mean, if some cheese wiz is suing McDonnell's because he spilled his hot coffee in his lap while driving, had an accident and is suing because the coffee was hot and that's what caused the accident........! You never know who and for what you can get sued for........!

One of the things we talk about in medicine is that if a physician is honest, relatable, with good bedside manner, and a relationship with their patient, they are much less likely to be sued. I'd wager those same traits carry over into photography.

you can sue almost over anything in America. The problem isn't always about if you lose in court either. IT is the expense of fighting the court case.

Honestly, I tried to avoid any legal conflictions with any of my clients. That is why I always build rapport and a relationship with my clients. That way, if anything were to go wrong, I could just easily discuss the matters with my clients openly, without having to worry about getting sued. Having great communication skills can go a long way in photography.

Most reactions

Back