forget earthquakes..how about...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by MDowdey, Dec 23, 2003.

1. MDowdey

MDowdey Guest

TORNADOS?

anybody ever witnessed one?

i have when i was younger. you can never experiance something as terrifying as that.

any thought?

md

2. voodoocat

voodoocat ))<>(( Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    When I was 11 there was a tornado touched down a quarter mile from our house in Colorado. I went out around the house to see it. It was pretty big. I wasn't scared, but luckily it didn't come close to us.

3. Dew

Dew TPF Noob!

i've never been in or witnessed a natural disaster first hand ... guess i've been lucky ... but i've also avoided places that things like this occur often...

4. metroshane

metroshane TPF Noob!

Well, I'm in North Texas....so well, yeah, I've seen 'em. I guess it's all relative as they don't seem near as terrifying as Blizzards, Hurricanes or earth quakes.

5. Tyjax

Tyjax TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    During my 17th and 18th year I was a severe storm spotter for the Civil Service and Hobbiest Tornado chaser. So Yeah, I've seen em. I lived in Central/eastern Oklahoma in the exact middle of what is known as Tornado alley. So instead of fearing the darn things I made a hobby out of them. If they are going to be knocking on your door might as well get used to em.

After every one you think "CRAP, that was the stupidest thing I have ever done. Then the next time you see a micro burst or a C class cell you are out there chasing the adrenaline again.

Ahh, the memories. *actual dialog on one of my videos*
    driver: Ah nuts. We got in front of the echo... (hook echo on radar)
    Me: Told you we should have turned back there.
    Driver: See anything in the down? (Down draft)
    *slight pause*
    Me: GO GO GO GO There's one behind us...
    ( Vague yelling and motor sounds for 15 minutes. )

:) All things told it was quite an experience.

6. bogleric

bogleric TPF Noob!

I have been in tornado's, near tornado's and seen many of them. They are a very intersting and evil looking beast. It is scary to be in them, but the tornado itself is really amazing.

7. MDowdey

MDowdey Guest

you guys are crazy. absolute nuts. but i would love to chase a cell and see it form into a tornado!!

md

8. GerryDavid

GerryDavid No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think I have but im not to sure. This was back in 1992 I think and we were coming back from Canada's wonderland outside of Toronto Ontario and the clouds in the sky looked like a twister/funnel, but I never heard of anything about it on the news and this area isnt really known to get tornado's, at least not ones that does any damage.

Ive also seen ones that are like 3 feet wide at the top in parking lots, spinning leaf's around, do those count to? :0). Thinking back, that would be cool to get a picture of, wonder how it would look on film, well digital film, hehe.

9. cowbert098

cowbert098 TPF Noob!

hmm, well Kind of. I lived in Salt Lake city Utah for a couple of years and a tornado touched down in the middle of the city with no warning. I lived in a canyon about 10 min. away so I didn't really see it. I was about to go out to a movie so I went to go turn off the TV and there they were showing pictures of a tornado ripping apart the city.

10. dlc

dlc TPF Noob!

I live in tornado alley where they usually develop in OK or TX and travel northeast. The closest to my house was a quarter mile about 40 years ago.

11. carlita

carlita TPF Noob!

never been in one myself, no. been through plenty of hurricanes and floods though.

when i was in high school i remember leaving class one day and walking past the school's front doors heading down toward the band hall to get ready for orchestra practice. as i passed the front doors and people were walking in and out i noticed the air coming in was ice cold. when i got down to the band hall, there were more doors there and more people passing through. this was only about 200 feet away from where i'd just been and the air coming in through these other doors was hot and muggy. it was bizarre. then i glanced outside and saw the sky was all green and nasty looking. i had to go to practice after that so i just went on with things, but it was obvious something awfully nasty was brewing outside.

when practice was over and my mom came to pick me and my sister up she pulled into the bus turn out in the parking lot with the back windsheild of the car missing and grass and dirt all inside the car. so naturally i say "what the hell happened?? :shock: " and she says "a tornado happened. get in."

so we drive home and she tells us about how she was asleep in her bed (she works nights and sleeps during the day) and she woke up to the all-too-familiar sound of rushing air and "a frieght train" and knew immediately what it was, having grown up in dallas, texas (we're in houston now) and witnessing several tornados in her time. she said she launched out of the bed so fast she couldn't even remember running to the back of the house to get into the bathtub.

so, that particular tornado didn't kill anyone or anything, but it ripped apart some houses and generally left everyone shaken. in a way i'm glad i wasn't home when it hit, but on the other hand, i wish i could have been there with my mom just so she wouldn't have been alone. :-?

i have several recurring nightmares. one of them is about tornados.

12. MDowdey

MDowdey Guest

aww carlita, im sorry!

ill not reply to this thread any longer cause i dont want to give you anymore nightmares.
    md