Forgot to Read the Terms and Conditions

(in response to NOYZE)

I admit in a cut and dry sense I cheated. But my "cheating" didn't give me any advantage. I realize that it was right for me to start bitching like that but I still do not agree with you. I enjoy arguing to the point that I tend to lead myself into them. I apologize and we have a difference in opinion.

You do realize that major corporations are subject to a lot more scrutiny, don't you? They probably have that in their rules not because they believe that a younger photographer might have an unfair advantage, but because it might be... you know... illegal for them to give away a prize money to an underaged?

Drinking age is 16 over here. It's not like a 14 year old will turn purple and blow up for ingesting a beer. It's just that it's against the law. It's not you who'll get into trouble, it's the seller.

Yeah, but that is not really my point. My point is that I believe that it's a necessary technicality for them and as such it wouldn't be the end of the world to break that particular rule. Especially since it would be going to continue my hobby of photography. No ill-intent there.

It's the job of a parent to ... "Parent". I wonder if you've run this past your dad, and what he thinks of stepping in for you to accept any prize - as his own.. THAT would be all telling..

r

I do realize that people break the rules all the time. Yet they do exist for some reason. Personally I wouldn't object to having your father sign off on that stuff. It's pretty harmless. However, if they do catch you and disqualify you, be prepared to take it with a smile and be ok about it. Just remember that if it's there, it's there for some reason even if you don't understand that reason.

EDIT: I'll give you another example that suits this situation. A couple of days ago I was a witness to a car accident. This woman ran a stop sign and wrecked her car and the one she hit. She told the police officer (I'm not kidding here) that "stop signs are merely guidelines to her". I mean... what the heck? Even the officer laughed out loud. She was still guilty, her insurance still payed for both cars and the other girl who had nothing to do with this went without a car for a long time while the insurance handled the situation. Even though the woman believed that rules didn't apply to her.

Ahh, well in that case it's fine to cheat and lie.

What hell is up with you two??? If I win, I win. It's not like I have a friggin' unfair advantage by being younger. I understand it's a lie, but cheating? I don't agree with you there. It's lying to a major company. People lie all the time. A boost for my photography sounds a bit more worthy of a lie then, eg; the crap on Wall St. Keep in mind that I'm 14. I don't have some saving account outside of a college fund with that kind of money in it.[/QUOTE

You think it's acceptable to lie/deceive simply because it's a "major company"?

Your age has nothing to do with it. Don't use it as an excuse.

I do realize that people break the rules all the time. Yet they do exist for some reason. Personally I wouldn't object to having your father sign off on that stuff. It's pretty harmless. However, if they do catch you and disqualify you, be prepared to take it with a smile and be ok about it. Just remember that if it's there, it's there for some reason even if you don't understand that reason.

Yeah, yeah. I understand that there is a fair chance that they'll notice something and disqualify me. It's just that the money would be really useful to me right now. I won't start whining to the company because I broke their rule if they make my win void.

Last edited:

What hell is up with you two??? If I win, I win. It's not like I have a friggin' unfair advantage by being younger. I understand it's a lie, but cheating? I don't agree with you there. It's lying to a major company. People lie all the time. A boost for my photography sounds a bit more worthy of a lie then, eg; the crap on Wall St. Keep in mind that I'm 14. I don't have some saving account outside of a college fund with that kind of money in it.

You seem to think it's acceptable to lie/cheat because it's a so-called "major company". Why is that? What have they done to you that somehow allows you to feel the need to even the score with them?

What hell is up with you two??? If I win, I win. It's not like I have a friggin' unfair advantage by being younger. I understand it's a lie, but cheating? I don't agree with you there. It's lying to a major company. People lie all the time. A boost for my photography sounds a bit more worthy of a lie then, eg; the crap on Wall St. Keep in mind that I'm 14. I don't have some saving account outside of a college fund with that kind of money in it.

You seem to think it's acceptable to lie/cheat because it's a so-called "major company". Why is that? What have they done to you that somehow allows you to feel the need to even the score with them?

I'm not trying to even the score. It's just they're a company with deep pockets and this could be a really big break for me.

Look... you did what you did, whatever... but PLEASE stop trying to justify it.

What you are saying in response to comments is making me wonder if you 'forgot' or 'ignored' the terms and conditions.

Look... you did what you did, whatever... but PLEASE stop trying to justify it.

What you are saying in response to comments is making me wonder if you 'forgot' or 'ignored' the terms and conditions.
You're implying I knowingly entered my photo against the rules. I did not. I only noticed after my photo was entered. I understand that from now on I should always read the terms and conditions.

Sorry, it's not. If they were guidelines, that's what they'd be called. Go ahead then. It's not like the opinions here are going to stop you anyway.

Most reactions

Back