julie32

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.juliestarkphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,
I asked a question earlier regarding "medium vs. large format." This was part of Ann's response to me.

"Medium format cameras , covers a format size of 6x6, 6x7, 6x9' Large format sizes begin at 4x5 and goes upward from there."

But what I guess I still don't understand is...are we talking about PRINT sizes? I can print a 16X20 with a tiny 2.0 megapixel camera. I'm totally missing the point here, so can someone please clarify this for me?

Thanks in advance,

Julie (I am still a Noob, even though it says I'm not!)

it's the size of the negative.

the larger the negative the larger image you can print to with highest quality preserved

your digicam has a very small sensor (just a few mm) and you can indeed print large images. The larger you go the less the quality will be though. Now imagine the quality you can get by taking an already very large image at super high quality and increase it in size..... the quality of medium/large format cameras is mind blowing!

are we talking about PRINT sizes?

No, this would be talking about film sizes.

This is why medium and large format cameras can create such wonderful images...because the film is so large.

Think about it like this...to get a 4x6 print from 35mm film...you need to enlarge the image somewhat. To get a 16x20 from 35mm film...you need to enlarge it quite a bit. The more you enlarge something...the worse the image quality (not counting viewing distance).

So with a larger piece of film...you don't need to enlarge the image as much.

The same is basically true of digital cameras as well. The larger the sensor, the better the image quality. That's a big reason why so many of us use Digital SLR cameras...they have much larger sensors than 99% of non-SLR digital cameras. The next step up is digital meduim format cameras....with very large sensors. I think the best of those cameras are up around 39 mega pixels.

holy sh*t, 39 mp???? I'd have to sell my body on 42nd st in nyc....1000 times over, maybe even more. lol. Thanks for the explanation Mike, it's very helpful to me.

Don't worry, unless you're doing this on a very pro format - your purity is safe.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back