Forum posts being stolen?

Depends. It could be a hellish game of cat and mouse depending on the skimmer's resources. Also, anything put in to block something like that may have adverse effects on things that are useful (google bots, wayback machine, etc).

TPF might be able to write specific codes to block that site from automatically copying content - but it would be far better to just see the site nuked into nothing (though in all reality chances are that the host will simply pull the plug on the site and the owner will then just get a new host and stick it up again under a different domain - chances are they will have to rebuild it from scratch though - unless they have a lot of harddrive space just stitting around).

honestly though, aside from someone showing off their code for auto copy paste I don't see what the site is for - its not like they are claiming the work is theirs or posting hidden content (at least in the photo section) its just mirroring TPf without anyone being a member there and posting - just seems rather pointless

Blatant thievery aside....

It does seem to be a nice lawless environment where one can vent. Sort of like Australia in the early days...

I think the mods should move all of the locked threads to that forum and unlock them!

I've reported them to Adobe... those particular folks go APE over this kind of site.

I just reported it to Microsoft too, I'm sure they'd be interested - virtually every Microsoft product is available as a free download there.

I'm certainly not savvy at code like several of you geeks (no offence).... but I managed to have a little bit of fun on that site.

Here was my edit. :biglaugh:

Of course, it has temporarily killed the images posted on TPF..... but nobody really liked them anyway.

I'm certainly not savvy at code like several of you geeks (no offence).... but I managed to have a little bit of fun on that site.

Here was my edit. :biglaugh:

Of course, it has temporarily killed the images posted on TPF..... but nobody really liked them anyway.

That's disgustingly hilarious!

Wow...kind of scary!!!!! Who does this..????? I mean...is this the work of one person? ...There are no replies (with the exception of a few of you!:sexywink:)???
It's an RSS script. They are using vBulletin and you can basically make a user and put a feed that the "user" will post automatically. So my recommendation is just disable the rss feed.

looks like the photos have gone

Yes the photog section is gone now. Yay ~ Still I wonder why was it done to start with.

It's an RSS script. They are using vBulletin and you can basically make a user and put a feed that the "user" will post automatically. So my recommendation is just disable the rss feed.

:er: ...You talk'n to me..:blushing:???!!!!

I have no idea what you just said!!!! :lol:

:D

Basically... This website makes it easy for outside sources to access it's content. This is designed so that I could load up one program (called an RSS reader), and view the topics of this forum and many others all at the same time. It also makes it easy for automatic scripts to scrape content out of the forum.

If RSS wasn't enabled, they could do it in a million other ways though. As we speak, I am writing scripts to do this same thing, except it is for driving business and sales to different sites, so no one minds :)

Basically... This website makes it easy for outside sources to access it's content. This is designed so that I could load up one program (called an RSS reader), and view the topics of this forum and many others all at the same time. It also makes it easy for automatic scripts to scrape content out of the forum.

If RSS wasn't enabled, they could do it in a million other ways though. As we speak, I am writing scripts to do this same thing, except it is for driving business and sales to different sites, so no one minds :)

Totally crazy in an amazing way. :D I just watched our IT guy, rip off my whole Smugmug website...templates and all using Firebug. :er::er: He is viewing my images on his computer as we speak.
Nothing is safe

Most reactions

New Topics

Back