Found in the Basement....

FemFugler

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It's at least 20yrs old.... it was my parents.

OldPhotographsFlowersAmandaOldCamer.jpg

I also found a Voightlander and a Contina SLR as well as an old video camera(can't remember what make) that was my Grandpa's and is probably 50 - 60 years old. Now just to find the Leica....
Apparently they were camera junkies since they had even more cameras than that but they either got stolen or they sold it later on.

Anyway they demanded me to take pictures of it to sell it but it's kind of cool looking i kind of want to keep it. :/

Last edited:
that was exactly what I had for my first "real" camera!! My parents had gotten one as a wedding present and gave it to me when I was around 14. I wonder what I've done with it :( poor sad camera

You might really enjoy film. Run a roll of film through it, see if it works alright, see if it leaks light, etc.. Check if the light meter works - might have issues. You might find that you really like it - there's a whole separate world in developing your own prints as well.

You might really enjoy film. Run a roll of film through it, see if it works alright, see if it leaks light, etc.. Check if the light meter works - might have issues. You might find that you really like it - there's a whole separate world in developing your own prints as well.

Yea, my dad has all the equipment for that downstairs as well. Tuns and tuns of film and accessories and books and what not on it all. It's been a while since my dad has been into it, it's just been sitting down there for like 20 years and we're cleaning out our house and going through junk and my mom has been at him to get rid of it but since he never will she said that if i take pictures and sell them then i can keep the money and put it towards a lens or something photography related.

An AE-1 isn't worth enough to trouble with selling it-- I think you'd be much better off having some fun with it and learning to shoot film.

Yea i looked it up on ebay and it isn't worth more than $50 if that. Actually even my the video camera that was my Grandpa's that's over 60 years old isn't worth much more. I may also keep the Contina.... The Voightlander is broken since it was dropped so i'll probably just trash it or maybe post it on ebay or CL first if anyone can use it for parts if that's possible, or maybe take it into a camera store and see if they have any camera nuts who could use it for parts or maybe fix it themselves and keep it. I'd hate to chuck the Voightlander away - it's so interesting looking... but if it doesn't work and if it's not worth anything for even parts then i don't see any use keeping it really.

I'll get pics of the Contina, Voightlander and the video camera later. I had pics but they aren't the greatest.

I guess another idea is to use it as a creative prop if i ever decided to go towards the portrait area of photography...

I'd hate to chuck the Voightlander away - it's so interesting looking...

Use it as a prop in a photo shoot. Not really an original idea but who cares..

What lens is that on the AE-1?

It's a 50mm lens as far as i can tell....

i found my camera goldmine in the basement too! My dad had a canon a1, three lenses, and a bunch of goodies. Shooting film is tough, but ALOT of fun!

Is it a 50mm f/2 or maybe better..?

Gear looks to be in good shape. Here's what I found a few months ago:

dadsfilmcamera.jpg

*Jealous at the old Nikon* My parents had an F1(maybe an F2?... one of them... maybe be even both knowing them... they were weird) but they sold it. Years ago.

About the lens.... I'm not really sure how to tell.... I'm just going to take a wild guess and assume it's what it says on the front the the Lens... like around the glass? In that case it says: Canon Lens FD 50mm 1:1.8

So is that a F/1.8? So i take it that means it's worse? Or does the lower number mean it's better...

Sorry total newb...

I'll just get a picture of the lens tomorrow to show you.... i don't even know if i'm reading it right i'm just totally guessing here. lol

I can't even figure out how to open the film compartment thing... i swear to god i'm like retarded with cameras haha I'm not even joking it took me like 10 minutes to figure out how to open the lens thing on the Contina.

....Ya.... I think it would be a good idea for me to stick with Digital...

I like the look of the film cameras though. :)

Last edited:
Canon Lens FD 50mm 1:1.8

So is that a F/1.8? So i take it that means it's worse? Or does the lower number mean it's better...

Yep it's a 1.8. Not sure how great they were back then but that's a really handy lens on a 35mm film body. When you put your eye to the viewfinder things should retain the same scale as if they were right in front of you. To focus with a split prism (if that's what the body uses) - you want to align what's on the left with what's on the right side of it - or top and bottom, depending on how you're holding the camera. You probably already knew that but I didn't know what a split prism was til I found this Nikon FE in the basement.

Most reactions

Back