Found out what it means to be "professional"

RONDAL

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Was invited by work on Thursday night to attend our corporate suite at the local stadium where the Team Canada Mens Olympic team was having an inter-squad scrimmage.
It was a once in a lifetime opportunity unless one has tickets to the olympics, to see that kind of skill and talent all playing together, wearing your countries flag, so I thought it would be good to bring a camera, especially as I had amazing unobstructed seats.

I decided to take my gf's D40 with a 55-200mm VR lens, as I didn't want a big lens and gripped body drawing attention to myself.

I made it part way through the 1st period before security came and told me I could not be taking photos. I asked what the issue was, and was told I was shooting with a professional camera. I told them it was hardly professional, and in fact at ~$300 it was cheaper than many high end point and shoot cameras. I was told by security that because the camera has a detachable lens it was considered professional and that I would not be allowed to use it.

They left, and I hammered out a couple more shots during the shoot out and closing handshakes just to capture the moment. But good to know for next time. I remember there was a discussion on here about defining professional at events.....I think I may have just found the definition.

Shots
Team Canada Olympic Hockey - a set on Flickr

& The saying lives on:
You have a big camera, must be a professional.

oooo i must go out and buy a blad 2moro. ill be sooo pro

or maybe just skint

tell the guys to watch any sports game and look for guys with big ass (usually white) lenses on the side lines . Those are professional sports shooters lol.

nikon should make white lenses, then i could be pro too

The same thing can happen at sports matches, the races, plays, musical performances and many other events. The basic line is that at these events the images captured for commercial use have strict controls over them - maybe the even it sponcered so only a certain publication can publish the images/maybe they require comission on every image sale/or an upfront fee to do so etc...

So they have to make sure that the public are not bypassing this by shooting with pro end gear in the general seating and then selling the images on. Which is why DSLR users get targeted, remember the security are only average people with uniforms (and beating sticks!) so big camera with removable lens = professional (no matter how much it cost).

The irony is that many point and shoots are becoming very good when compared to DSLRs so the small point and shoots in the crowed might oneday also have to be targeted by such actions as well.

nikon should make white lenses, then i could be pro too

They would have to learn to make good lenses first - and then apply the white paint :lmao::lmao:

lol they are so good they dont even need white paint to keep the sun off. The nikon man had the best shot of they day before it even came up. Something to do with excellent low light performance

tell the guys to watch any sports game and look for guys with big ass (usually white) lenses on the side lines . Those are professional sports shooters lol.
Actually, a recent count I saw, there were more black lenses than white lenses on the sidelines. Nikon doesn't need to pimp their gear beyond a tasteful thin gold ring.

Many sports photographers are coming over to the dark side.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, a recent count I saw, there were more black lenses than white lenses on the sidelines. Nikon doesn't need to pimp their gear beyond a tasteful thin gold ring.

bah high ISOs are not all they are cracked up to be..................................

possibly:confused:

but you can actually see the white lenses and the black ones are camouflaged lol.

</end of Canon vs. Nikon>

but you can actually see the white lenses and the black ones are camouflaged lol.

And that's supposed to somehow be good? ;)

I always thought one of the hallmarks of a pro shooter was remaining unobtrusive! :thumbup:

And that's supposed to somehow be good? ;)

I always thought one of the hallmarks of a pro shooter was remaining unobtrusive! :thumbup:
were talking about sports photography where you sit on the sidelines with your 800mm lens. The only person you might be obstructive to is the guy next to you that only has a 600mm lol

Most reactions

Back