Found these old lenses at my Mom's place

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by ricepudding, Oct 27, 2007.

1. ricepudding

ricepudding TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Will any of these work with my D80. They were for her slr film camera YEARS ago. Thanks! And let me know the quality I can expect from them too.

Sigma 35-70mm f/2.8
    JCPenny 135mm f/2.8

Also she has some other equipment:

Vivitar Zoom Thyristor 3500 Flash
    And lenses that just look to me like lens caps but clear. She said they zoom the current lens you have on. One says +1, another says +4, other is +2. They say "HDYA 55mm" on them.

Can I use any of that either?

Thanks so much for your help.

2. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    If they have "ears" on them and the ears are solid then -no, those would be Pre-AI lenses and would have to be milled to prevent damage to your D80. (they will fit on the camera but will damage it)

If the ears are hollowed out then yes they will work although you will have to use them in Manual or Aperture mode.

3. ricepudding

ricepudding TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well, since I'm new I have no idea what "ears" are but I looked at the hookup of the lenses and they don't look like mine...They have a thing that sticks out which I'm assuming is the "ear"...haha.

What about the flash and the zoom caps I found?

4. doobs

doobs TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    JCPenny?! Makes lenses?!

5. ricepudding

ricepudding TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I guess so!! At least they did in ancient times... :) Anyone know about the other components?

6. Sideburns

Sideburns TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    the "lenses" that aren't lenses, are actually a closeup set. You screw them on like filters. +1, +2, and +4 are the strengths. They're like macro lens adapters..

7. ricepudding

ricepudding TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Does the closeup set work well? And what about the flash?

8. Helen B

Helen B TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    "HDYA" looks like "HOYA", a major manufacturer of good glass, filters, and in this case, close-up lenses as Sideburns says. The strengths are given in dioptres, which is 1/focal length in metres. So if you add your +2 to your 135 mm (=7.4 dioptres) you get a 106 mm lens (=9.4 dioptres) that focuses more closely.

What make of camera did your mother have?

Best,
    Helen

9. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The Vivitar flash is excellent and usable but not automatic. You would need to set the ISO and fstop and the flash info. on the back will tell you what distance range will be covered as in 20 feet to 40 feet etc. by the flash.

The closeup diopters provide very good images and I have even handheld a 200mm lens with a +2 diopter. They are ideal for anyone who does not do enough macro work to warrant a true macro lens. I should also indicate that the macro mode on some lenses lets the photographer move in closer but does not make a true 1:1 macro shot.

skieur

10. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    If you look at the bottom of the lens you will see a silverish thing attached to the aperture ring- this is what I was calling "ears". The ones on the first example is the AI example (ok for newer Nikons like yours)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NIKON-NIKKOR-28...ryZ48556QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This example is a Pre-AI and the "ears" as you can see are solid. (you can as I said have these milled or "AI'd" to work on the newer bodies. you wouldn't think that anyone would want to do this but this example-for instance_ is a 35mm f2.0 that will likely go for around $100. With shipping and having the work done you are still looking at around $150 for a f2.0 lens.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...Track=true&ssPageName=VIP:Watchlink:middle:us

As to the close up filters, you will find that the more layers of glass you put in front of you lens the less you will like it. There are tubes you can buy for little money and use nothing but empty space to increase your focal length.

11. ricepudding

ricepudding TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Helen - my Mom had a film Pentax.....it says ME Super on it. I don't know if that is the model.

I'll play with the close-up lenses to see how they work. The flash is still confusing me. I've never used a separate flash before (and just had my camera for a few days so be gentle). And this one is manual which I also don't understand. The settings for f-stop and ISO etc. are in my camera. Isn't it the cameras decision how much light it takes in? What does setting it on the flash do exactly?

12. Helen B

Helen B TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The Vivitar 3500 might be fitted with a Pentax ME Super module - look at the hot shoe on the camera, and the contacts on the flash and see if they match.

Auto flashes can take over the exposure calculations from the camera. You tell the flash gun what f-stop and ISO you have set on the camera, then the flash uses its built-in light meter to regulate the amount of light it puts out - it stops the flash as soon as enough light has been emitted. That is what the thyristor is doing. If the flash and camera can talk to each other via a dedicated module there may not be any need to set the flash. There are many many variations on this.

If the lenses fitted the ME Super, they will not fit your Nikon.

Best,
    Helen