Four pictures

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by pilgrim, Mar 10, 2004.

1. pilgrim

pilgrim TPF Noob!

I got home from work today and went for a walk around my place and snapped some pics. Here's a few that I liked.

I finally learnt how to do this, I dunno why it took me so long to figure it out :shock: .
    Oh and I'm talking about making one part of the picture color and leaving the rest black and white.
    [​IMG]

This little fella was drowing in the horse's water bucket so I saved him, and to return the favour he let me photograph him :D. Sadly this was the only picture that turned out :(
    [​IMG]

I don't know if I like this picture or not, nothing stands out to me, but for some reason I keep looking at it... and now im posting it on here :wink:
    [​IMG]

Don't have anything to say about this picture...
    [​IMG]

:D
    Troy

2. voodoocat

voodoocat ))<>(( Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hey, I went ahead and fixed your tags for you :D

It's funny how you say #3 doesn't stand out to you. To me it's the only one of the group that does it for me. I like the contrast of the weathered gas can grouped with the cleaner gas cans.

3. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The composition is more exciting in #3. All the other ones are centered. #1, 2, and 4 don't suggest a story to me, while #3 does. I don't know the story, but I know there's one there (even if the photographer doesn't know it).

4. karissa

karissa The Untitled

Photos OK to edit
    #3 is the best one in my opinion also. Nothing is in the middle of the shot which shows good design. Design is the reason you keep looking at it. It also has good contrast.

5. pilgrim

pilgrim TPF Noob!

I knew there had to be something about number three for me to keep going back to it. Glad to see you guys liked it to. :D

6. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    My eyes travel in a continuous triangle, around and around.

I also like how the subject of #3 also breaks the image frame on three sides. In all the other photos the main subject matter is centered in the frame, sometimes with lots of space around them.

I heard a pro wildlife photographer once say that if the primary subject doesn't fill at least 25% of the image space it won't hold the viewers' interest.

7. vonnagy

vonnagy have kiwi, will travel...

Photos NOT OK to edit
    hi pilgrim,

yeppers, love that number 3 too! its a unique picture... i'm loving the midtones and simplicity of it. There's something there, in a good way, that I can't put my finger on. Its funny, most of the time I'm thinking 'theres something missing' :D

quick notes on the other shots

1. this is a cool technique, but the here the colours seem a bit too vibrant, almost unnatural. maybe tone back back the saturation a bit (geeze thats that first time i've said that too!) I like the crispness of the shot however.

2. poor fella... hrmm it would have been good to see maybe a great DOF. perahps even the water streaks from when you first saved it would have been good.

4. This one is a near miss for me. textures and the earthtones are compelling but not quite enough to do it if for me. I would bump the contrast up just slightly and try playing with photoshop curves. Also, burn out some of the areas between the stems - though the background is blurred pretty good, its still busy enough to take away from the subject.

Good post Pilgrim! Still looking at number 3 too - good shot!

8. Tammy

Tammy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well, I'm feeling a little better - cause I also like number 3.

I think number 1 might work if the coloring were more subdued. With the subject of the photo being a flower I think a more subtle coloring would work.

Number 2 perhaps if you were show us a fly in a way that we wouldn't normally see one, this might be more interesting.

Number 3 has an honesty to it - to me, it is raw, and emotive - everything works for me.

Number 4 is difficult to make out because there seems to be a lot going on, and the colors are quite similar.

Thanks for sharing.

9. PhotoJoe

PhotoJoe TPF Noob!

Very very nice. I really like all three.

10. PhotoJoe

PhotoJoe TPF Noob!

Hey, when my page refreshed, the bug image loaded in. I didn't see it the first time for some reason. Although with the title of this thread, you would think that I would have realized that there was one missing the first time. Either way, I still just really like the other three. The bug picture ain't doing it for me like the others. But that's just me. I'm not a bug person.

11. karissa

karissa The Untitled

Photos OK to edit
    I was thinking on that first one... if you cropped the image so to get your subject out of the center and added just a little bit of the original color back in but leaving it mostly black and white.... it might help. Just an idea.