Four seasons

tsien

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
The colors have some unagreeable elements. I'd like to know how they might be better done. Thanks..

sp.jpg

summer.jpg

fall.jpg

winter.jpg

I like the level at which the shot was taken on the first. The last two are really good. There seems to be some blurriness about though. Are these digital or are they scans? Maybe you should try using a tripod- it makes all the difference for my camera shake. (mmmm...camerashake{ in the voice of homer simpson}:D)

Ok, it looks like they've been waaaaay oversharpened. Like, a LOT.

Something you might look into- a polorizing filter, and maybe some graduated density filters. That will help you not to blow out the sky when you're shooting landscapes. There are many brands, I suggest either Hoya or Tiffen, but most are ok (save for the really really really cheap-o ones)

If you don't have a tripod- buy one. Today. Go to Walmart and get a cheap one if you have to. Get a good one if you can afford to. But something is better than nothing in this case. Take it everywhere you take your camera, even if you handhold for a shot. You never know when you will need it, and it will make a huge difference in the quality of your photographs.

On that second shot- you've got your horizon DEAD CENTER. That hardly EVER looks good on landscapes. Try to keep it to the top third, or the bottom third of the shot, depending on what you want more of- sky, or ground.

Lastly, as far as these shots are concerned, if you have the original files still, look for a different sharpening method than what you're currently using. BACK AWAY FROM ALL OF PHOTOSHOPS "SHARPENING FILTERS" and that includes Unsharp Mask, in my opinion. Though unsharp mask is probably the least of the evile sharpening tools. But you need to know how to use it correctly.

I have my own sharpening method, which I can outline for you, and which uses filters photoshop already has, if you're interested in hearing it.

Yes yes pls enlighten me by all means! The camera is my perpetual pain... but I think I will invest in a digital this Christmas. Meanwhile let me start by learning ABCs. I don't have PS, I used Microsoft Photoeditor to darken the lightning level. I remember I didn't do much contrast change. I must now hurry away to take my dinner before the Olympic opening so I only had a quick goolge search on those terms you mentioned there. Can you recommend a good photography technique book or an online link by which I can do systematic self-study? There exist a lot, which actually leaves me at a loss. Thanks again, maybe we can go off-list, i'm just ashamed.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back