fps and memory card question

cjmcluen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am buying a d300 in a few days and I am planning on getting the grib to bump it up to 8fps. NOW my question is what CF card should I get for the 8fps because I am clueless on that...... Any help would be awesome!
Thanks!
Chris

When you take a shot, the image is recorded by the camera then stored in the 'buffer' before it's written to the card. Writing to the card is slower than taking more photos in burst mode, especially at 8fps....so the images start to pile up in the buffer.

So, it's the size of the buffer that will be the determining factor as to how many shots you can take with an extended burst. Also, the file size matters...and you can usually shoot more JPEG images than RAW images.

Of course, the speed if the card does play a factor. A faster card will clear the buffer faster...but the buffers on modern cameras are so big, that unless you are using the camera like a machine gun, you shouldn't have a problem.

I just looked it up on dpreview and it said that the D300 was good for 100 JPEGs in continuous drive. I'm not sure if it would be less with the grip or not.

B.t.w....can anyone tell me why/how this camera shoots faster with the grip attached? This used to be the case with old film cameras, because the grip has a motor that would turn the film faster...but that's obviously not the case with digital. Does the grip just offer more batter power or does it also increase the buffer size or speed?

thought you needed the grip, the battery from the D2X and the charger to make the camera faster

B.t.w....can anyone tell me why/how this camera shoots faster with the grip attached? This used to be the case with old film cameras, because the grip has a motor that would turn the film faster...but that's obviously not the case with digital. Does the grip just offer more batter power or does it also increase the buffer size or speed?

For more power. The grip can hold EN-EL4a batteries, which the camera can not. The EN-EL4a batteries must be used to get the 8FPS.

Maybe the motor turns the storage card faster? :lol:

Seriously, the difference is only from 6 fps to 8 fps. I would suspect that the difference is in mirror movement.

I am buying a d300 in a few days and I am planning on getting the grib to bump it up to 8fps. NOW my question is what CF card should I get for the 8fps because I am clueless on that...... Any help would be awesome!
Thanks!
Chris

Are you aware that you can download a non-printing user manual from Nikon before you buy the camera?

For more power. The grip can hold EN-EL4a batteries, which the camera can not. The EN-EL4a batteries must be used to get the 8FPS.
I guess what I'm asking is...is it really just 'more power' that allows you to shoot at more fps? If that's the case, couldn't you just swap out the battery for a more powerful one?
I was under the impression that the top shooting speed had more to do with the design of the mirror and shutter...which an external grip won't change.

Seriously, the difference is only from 6 fps to 8 fps. I would suspect that the difference is in mirror movement.
Exactly. So is Nikon telling us that it takes that much more power to move the mirror a little bit faster? I guess it could be feasible, since they probably use electromagnetics...but I don't know :scratch:

I guess what I'm asking is...is it really just 'more power' that allows you to shoot at more fps? If that's the case, couldn't you just swap out the battery for a more powerful one?
I was under the impression that the top shooting speed had more to do with the design of the mirror and shutter...which an external grip won't change.

Exactly. So is Nikon telling us that it takes that much more power to move the mirror a little bit faster? I guess it could be feasible, since they probably use electromagnetics...but I don't know :scratch:

I see what you're asking...that is strange. I'll have my buddy hook a car battery up to his D300 and see how fast it gets :)

I'll bet if you could feed 1.21 GigaWatts into it, you could take photos of the future. :lol:

So is Nikon telling us that it takes that much more power to move the mirror a little bit faster? I guess it could be feasible, since they probably use electromagnetics...but I don't know :scratch:

It's strictly a hunch but it makes sense to me.

I see what you're asking...that is strange. I'll have my buddy hook a car battery up to his D300 and see how fast it gets :)

Proceed cautiously. Try a motorcycle battery first.

Are you aware that you can download a non-printing user manual from Nikon before you buy the camera?

ohhh no im not aware of that! Where can I get it?

Just as an FYI, if you're shooting in 14 bit raw (vs 12 bit) on the D300, you'll only see around 3fps.

Actually, Nikon says 2.5 fps but, in either case, there's no obvious logic to explain it. The 14-bit files are only about 30% larger than the 12-bit files.

Actually, Nikon says 2.5 fps but, in either case, there's no obvious logic to explain it. The 14-bit files are only about 30% larger than the 12-bit files.

Absolutely, but some would argue that the color definition makes it worth it.

Personally I doubt most people would see the difference, just wanted to make sure the OP was aware.

Most reactions

Back