FPS for dog photo shooting

Uplander & SpeedTrap, according to what you said, I see the AF capability as one of the utmost priority features. If my decisions so far isn't wrong, both Nikon D90 & D300 are said to have a decent Auto Focus system. The difference between them is 11pts vs 51pts where they have both 3D tracking capability. Is D300 noticeably better in AF function when I operate under poor lighting or under quick unexpected movtions of the dogs? If the D300 51pt AF can make a noticeable difference to freeze the moment, like Uplander or Chewbecca have demonstrated in the photos, I would choose the D300. Please advise.

The auto focus is a very important thing to consider, but you also need to consider what else you are doing with the camera and what you may be doing in the future.

If you have the money I would consider the D300 over the D90 as long as you do not need the video of the D90, here is why.

1-The D300 does have a 51 pt AF, but you change it to 11 pt if you want to, as well there are several other choices as well.
2- 6 FPS out of the box and if you add the MB-10 Grip you can get 8 frames per second (I have the grip for mine and I like it)
3- Weather sealed magnesium alloy body, if you ever get attacked by a dog you can beat them back with the camera (kidding)

The d300 will allow you to grow and do more in the future, but you need to be aware that there are no auto modes on it. Just Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, Manual and Program. You will not find the Green Auto, Landscape, Night and Portrait modes you find on most consumers DSLR. On the other hand no one asks to borrow your camera because they have no Idea how to use it.

You will initially become frustrated with the D300, but once you get past that and read the manual a few times you will be very happy with it.

Thank you SpeedTrap for a straight forward response. I fully understood your opinion with my limited ability.

You will not find the Green Auto, Landscape, Night and Portrait modes you find on most consumers DSLR. On the other hand no one asks to borrow your camera because they have no Idea how to use it.

I will have the money one day to get the D300 and I can't wait to get rid of those stupid settings that take up room on my dial!

I will have the money one day to get the D300 and I can't wait to get rid of those stupid settings that take up room on my dial!

meh... then when you get your D300 you will reprogram all of those settings into your stored shooting banks....lol...

I love the D300 shooting banks.... they are a little more flexible i suppose than the stupid ones on your dial....

Lyncca & dEARlEADER, is the D300 easy enough to be used by my wife (non techie, but can handle a PC or ipod)? If the programming is a one-time thing, I have to take the initiative and program it first, but then I'm a total noob so I'm hoping I won't have issues while I read the manual and navigate myself through for programming. Would my wife or myself have problems with the D300? You make it sounds like the dials get quite annoying for people once you get used to the operations.

I bought David Busch's Nikon D300 book, and that has been more useful to me than my manual EVER will be.:mrgreen:

It shouldn't be an issue. Some of us just get annoyed at camera companies because they put these 'idiot modes' on to cameras that cost thousands of dollars. I haven't used the 'picture' modes on my cameras...except for testing them out when I first got the cameras. So you wouldn't be missing much by not having them there.

If the camera has aperture priority and shutter priority (which is does) then you and/or your wife will be OK.

Hehehe...

2834652930_b489424493.jpg

That's awesome! :D

Chewbecca, I LOVE those photos. Great work!

- Alex

don't know if anyone mentioned but another advantage of a good SLR over a P&S is less shutter lag/delay.. I hated my old Fuji S5000 for it, moving up to a D70 at the time made a huge difference.

I did not read the entire thread, but I am pretty sure that someone explained to you the differences between # of pics per second (FPS) and shutter speed (the speed at which EACH picture is taken). You are not looking for a high FPS camera, you are looking at increasing shutter speed.

Any camera (even a P&S!) can take a picture of running dogs clearly without blur as long as it is bright enough and you know how to set your camera up (by 1/250th of a second most but the very fastest motion can be eliminated... example, at 1/250th shutter speeds, even spinning helicopter blades look almost static!). However, where SLR cameras excel are in those areas of more challenging shooting situations like lower light, indoor situations and even night shooting.

To get a fast shutter speed, you need either very bright conditions or:
- A camera that supports fast shutter speeds (most of them do already, even the P&S)
- Setting the camera to higher ISO levels
- having a fast lens that can do consistent F/2.8 or bigger (numerically smaller)

Since this thread has been resurected, I'll throw my 2¢ in the ring.

I've never held the D90 so I have no input about it. However, the D300 is a piece of work and you'll not regret its purchase. But to get the most out of it, you will want top shelf glass in front of it.

Shutter Speed at 1/8000

6 FPS

Both of those links were shot with the Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 lens.

Since this thread has been resurected, I'll throw my 2¢ in the ring.

I've never held the D90 so I have no input about it. However, the D300 is a piece of work and you'll not regret its purchase. But to get the most out of it, you will want top shelf glass in front of it.

Shutter Speed at 1/8000

6 FPS

Both of those links were shot with the Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 lens.

Nice photos in such low light! I just ordered my D300, and then its time to start saving for the 70-200 2.8.... Does it ever end?? :confused: :lol:

Most reactions

Back