Framing Photos

Huminaboz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Alright, I've always wondered about framing photos. Sometimes the right frame around a photo can make the photo look so much more better. But for some reason, most of the time I've tried to make my own frame, it's felt wrong in some way.

So here's the deal, I was wondering if anyone would like to tell what they know about frames and possibly people could show examples of good frames for photos.

I'm talking anywhere just black lines around the edges of the photo to some awesome creative technique that anyone has picked up over the years.

Thanks.

I like to keep it simple. A standard black metal frame. Some say its boring, but i want to spotlight the work inside the frame, not the frame itself. Besides, if your picture can't overcome a humble frame then its prolly not worth framing. (That is merely an opinion though) Unless it has a certain sentimental value.

Havoc said:
I like to keep it simple. A standard black metal frame. Some say its boring, but i want to spotlight the work inside the frame, not the frame itself. Besides, if your picture can't overcome a humble frame then its prolly not worth framing. (That is merely an opinion though) Unless it has a certain sentimental value.

Yeah, it's true that a simple frame gets the job done. But sometimes you see a photo with just a really neat frame and you think to yourself, "Wow, that's really neat"
Sometimes it really accents the contents.
And yeah, I'd kinda like to find some more of that just to examine it

I like to keep it simple. A standard black metal frame. Some say its boring, but i want to spotlight the work inside the frame, not the frame itself.

I agree, most of the time, a nice black frame looks the best. On the other hand, when my dad frames his photos, he uses wood frames that he makes himself, which I think always looks very nice. Occasionally he will varnish them a different color to accent the photos. But I also believe that if your frame is too fancy, it will take away from the photo inside of it.
Hope I helped you at least a little bit! :p

I tend to use a variety of frames styles, depending on the type of photo. I love black metal frames for B&W especially. I also use wood frames on occasion for portraits and some abstract photos I like the clear acrilic sleave type frames so that there is no edge and only the photo is presented.

In my opinion the photo dictates the frame but under no circumstance should you use one of the ridiculously thick frames (you know, the ones that look like there were intended for use as molding). they overwhelm a picture so why use them.

A nice frame matters, but nicely matting a photo can really make it look more professional. You can purchase pre-cut mats, or use a mat cutter to create your own.

I put some of my photos behind the glass only...

I had the plesure of working with a professional framer for free last year. We promoted her business to our clients and vice versa. I usually went for more simple looks, but we gave her free reign with our photos and she picked the frames and mattes. Here are two that are in our home that I love. There's no way I would have selected these frames, but they perfectly complement the subjects and look fabulous in person. Excuse the glare, but it's not even sunrise here yet so I had to use flash.

IMG_5224.jpg

IMG_5223.jpg

As a picture framer I can say the frame should accentuate the picture, but never over power it. The viewer should never look at the frame first. That being said, I think going with a basic frame also has its drawback.

I once saw a line of pictures by a photographer. Great work, but ALL of his photos were framed with the exact same frame. Are you telling me that every one of the photos did not have its own distinct flavor, so we might as well frame them all the same?

Just look at Alison's pictures above. Very nice photos. Are you telling me that they would look better if in a basic, thin, 1" black metal frame?

I'm sure its all a matter of opinion, but I believe there is a middle ground between basic black metal frame and an overpowering ornate, roman carved frame.

I like to frame them the same because i'm also really big on "frame clusters" its really rare that I put only one picture on a wall by itself.

As for the frames themselves... i prefer black... in varying weights depending on the picture or series... with a crisp white mat.

While there are frames that are works of art all by themselves, for most of my purposes I want the frame and mat to add nothing more to the photo than a simple, nice looking border. So when I display my photos at shows, classes, etc... I just want a thin, black frame and a white (maybe off white) mat. It may be boring, but I think it looks classy. And since I have a lot of frames like this, this is how they get hung in my house.

I don't usually sell my images framed; I prefer to let my customers pick a frame that is suitable for their home decorating plan.

On the other hand there are images that definately go very well with a special frame, and I'd love to have the wood working equipment to make my own hardwood frames.

I use AmericanFrame.com. They have the cheapest prices I've been able to find, and it's for Neilson brand which galleries and museums use.

I tend to go with a basic white matte / black frame myself. Like green, I prefer the option of being able to move things around and still have it all go together. I used to have each piece use a custom matte color and spent time being picky about the frame style, but I found it limiting. It also doesn't work well if you don't know what room the piece will be hanging in. At least a black frame goes with everything.

I posted some ideas about framing a while back in this thread.

I tend to have problems ordering frames online. I am the type that is really picky about how the frame and picture go together. The folks down at the store are used to me comming in with some 8*10s and just sitting down and going through frame/matte combos to find the ones that match.

That being said most of my stuff ends up in a dark or light wood frame (mainly since I take a lot of nature shots). Black frames usually only go for B&W photos or really strongly backlight/sillouete pictures.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back