Framing Photos

I have worked for a framer for several years and had the opportunity to show my own work in the gallery. A frame can make or break a print. For clients I have done all sorts of framing, big frames small frames, fillets, fabric mats etc. But my own work is different. I tend to only frame my pieices ( I have broken my own rule by using mats on certain pieces) but the main thing to remember is to get the glass up off the print. I mount all of my prints to an acid free foam core so the print will always lay flat. I pick out a frame that goes well with the print. If it is a woodsy photo, go with a wood. If it is a rusted out old car, go with a more distressed frame. Every print has a frame that works well with it.

Also dont skimp on the glass. For all of my work it goes under at least a UV Clear glass, to prevent fading. My favorite glass that I have been using for the last year or so is a UV Non Glare Plexi. Very little frosting on the glass, almost a museum quality glass, and then if a little one hits it with a football it doesnt break, and the weight is much lighter if it happens to come tumbling down off the wall. Remember to use a glass spacer to get the glass off the print. VERY IMPORTANT.

Most reactions

Back