Freakin Timing

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by AIRIC, May 25, 2005.

1. AIRIC

AIRIC TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I had the pleasure today to photograph the Vickers Vimy replica that will re-create the first trans-Atlantic flight by British pilots Alcock and Brown that took place back in 1919. It will be at the Toronto Aerospace Museum for the next few days before flying to Ottawa and then on to St. John Newfoundland where it will set out on a recreation of the first trans-Atlantic non-stop flight to Ireland. The crew flew it in from Oshkosh Wisconsin today and arrived after sunset.

It was very frustrating as there was a golden sun right to the very last ray and when it vanished the Vimy appeared on the horizon and made a few passes before landing. I did the best I could under the trying lighting conditions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Like a scene from the past people gather to meet the fearless aviators.

More images at Vimy arrival at Toronto
    Happy Landings,

Eric

2. steve_sydney

steve_sydney TPF Noob!

Great shots mate. Couldn't have asked for a better subject!

3. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A shame about the sun, Eric, but if you do "what you can under the given conditions", it is always best. And perfect. The third photo could not have been any better! No way!

4. OBrien

OBrien TPF Noob!

They're great as they are Eric. I've been to the site where Alcock and Brown landed in Clifden all those years ago - can only imagine what the people of Galway thought when they saw that silhouette in #1 appear on the horizonin 1919. Most of them would never have seen a car, never mind a flying machine.

5. John E.

John E. TPF Noob!

I find it hard to imagine better pictures even under better lighting. I am amazed that such a plane would even be flown, there cannot be too many around. Not a big plane fan, but I find all these photographs great.

6. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist TPF Noob!

Great work, great plane. The light added to the feel of the shots in my opinion.

7. aprilraven

aprilraven TPF Noob!

the last shot is really neat...looks almost vintage...but i agree with everyone else..these are good, and have no idea how you could improve them...
    looking at it, you gotta wonder how in the world that sucker stays up....its so boxy..and looks too "heavy" to lift....unreal....the first pilots really had nerves of steel...what courage.

8. Canoncan

Canoncan TPF Noob!

Amazing photo still with the trying light. You need to get a job holding the orange paddles.

9. JonMikal

JonMikal TPF Noob!

nice work Eric. even with the tough lighting conditions, you pulled it off wonderfully! the last one is very fitting; great job!

10. pursuer

pursuer TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nice work! I love the look of one and four. I like the treatment in the last as well.

11. Chiller

Chiller Mental case

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Amazing shots Airic. Even with the lighting conditions, they look great. Do you know if this will be part of the Door Open Toronto tour this weekend. I would love to see it.

12. AIRIC

AIRIC TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Chiller, yes it will be. You should be able to get very close to it even though they will be working like frantic on it. Slated to fly early next week. I have been invited to do some air-to-air with it but I just got a promotion at work and if it is on a week day I may not be able to go :( I will be crying for sure. We also have a group at Brampton that flies WWI aircraft and plan to do a mass formation with all around the CN Tower. I sure hope I can do the air-to-air. It will break my heart if I can't

There is a photo in the Toronto Star as well.
    Eric