Freaky Optical Illusion

RKW3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is an old post from another forum I visit from time to time..

If you watch the above images from your seat in front of the computer, Mr. Angry is on the left, and Mrs. Calm is on the right. Get up from your seat, and move back 12 feet, and PRESTO!! They switch places!!

I believe this illusion was created by Phillippe G.Schyns and Aude Oliva of the Univ. of Glasgow .
This proves that we may not be seeing what's actually there, all the time!!

4dczeb7.jpg

Kinda cool huh?

öhm, did not really work ....

... maybe i am still drunk from last night? ;)

You really have to get far back for it to be effective. Perception was one of my favorite classes, but it is based too much on physiological psychology for me.

You don't have to move at all. Just squint at it and it changes. It's to do with seeing the detail close/in focus and then losing the detail and just seeing the tones distant/out of focus. If you squint you will see what I MEAN IF YOU LOOK AT ONE FACE AT A TIME.
And it's nothing to do with 'we may not be seeing what's there...'. It's been shown repeatedly that we definitely do NOT see what is actually there at any time.
There are a number of things you can do to demonstrate that the eye misses a lot and the gaps are filled in by our brains.
I think I posted something along those lines a year or so ago.

the squinting works!

well, as long as we all have to do the same to get the same results...:)

I didn't know this one, interesting. Thanks.

pascal

does not work for me ...

... but then again. lots of these illusions do not work for me, and there are reasons for this in my case ;)

Yeah, I just squinted. But if you sit there and study the faces,you can trick yourself into switching them anyways. Let me try that again without squinting...

Yeah, I can do it without squinting or moving back. The power of the human mind.

Or, you could also pose the argument that I'm insane. It's not like the doctors haven't already posed that argument a few times...

Most reactions

Back