FREE Harvard University Photography Course, Online

I'm going out for the baseball team as walk on at 52 years old...
If you go to Harvard they will give you a scholarship.
I throw a mean knuckle ball
I used to love watching Tim Wakefield, Jim Bouton, Tom Candiotti and Joe Niekro pitch. It was always fun and funny when they were on the mound.
Me too. Lost art really. Just a couple today but they throw them harder. Wakefield just floated it up there.

Sure, the more the merrier. I'm going to hate catching jcdeboever. I love to watch knucklballer's but I always hated catching them. They always give you a workout behind the plate. :allteeth:

This isn't thru Harvard... not showing up on their website anywhere as online learning thru the university.
edit - Wait, there's an update below the article on Petapixel... YES, offered thru Harvard.

There..I fixed it for you.

As in: "

The Harvard Open Courses , of Harvard University , in partnership with Alison.com offers a free online course on digital photography, lasting 10-15 hours.

Course modules can be accessed through the official site . Before performing the first access, the student must register onthe site Alison .

The course covers the main topics about digital photography, including: exposure settings; reading the histogram; camera sensor work; camera lens; shooting processing using the computer software and others. Upon completion of the course, students will have dominion over the operation of digital cameras.

The course shall issue a certificate of completion for students who complete all modules and pontuarem 80% or more in each of the assessments.

If you work, study or have an interest in photography, do not miss this opportunity to increase their knowledge without leaving home!

United Photo Press Harvard University offers free online photography course."

This new free course seems to come very recent in diret response to the Stanford University offerings. And yes, the Harvard course lacks the panache of FroKnowsPhoto, or The Angry Photographer, on Tony Northrup , all "self-styled stars" found on YouTube.

I do believe that we should form an exclusive Harvard Photography Graduates club. Sort of like The Porcellian Club. Our motto could be Dum iacio, iacere scriptor. This could be our necktie. The Leica 50th anniversary necktie. The clubhouse could be known as "Ye Old Darkroom." Our favored drink could be The Flaming Volcano.

Logo.jpg

Last edited:
Petapixel already 'fixed it' for me - with an Update (below the P.S.).

Which still doesn't seem to be accurate... and neither seems to be United World Press, stating the course is in 'partnership' with the university (from two years ago).

I wasn't sure at first til I looked at this more thoroughly, but - this seems to be Alison using what Harvard made available publicly as one of their online extension courses this past fall. So it seems that a company overseas thinks it's OK to use it on their site for potential profit - to get people to sign up thru them. Which doesn't seem to be the intended purpose.

Yes, the course is free, but apparently companies like this make money from people paying for certificates. And the site doesn't say (that I could find) how much they charge for certificates - which probably are worth less than the piece of paper they'd be printed on.

The thing is, the instructors wrote the material and taught the course and a university made it available for personal use by the public - so why should somebody else profit from it??

If you take this you're taking a course that was originally offered thru Harvard, that Alison took and put on their website. This class thru Alison is NOT currently on Harvard's website; you are NOT signing up thru Harvard, you are probably just helping a seemingly disreputable company try to make money.

Here are Harvard's free online adult continuing ed. courses. http://online-learning.edu
http://online-learning.edu Or you can find them thru EDX. http://www.edx.org/school/harvardx
http://www.edx.org/school/harvardx

Good idea! we can share a volcano bowl. Just don't accidently mix up photo chemistry in Ye Olde Darkroom with the volcano ingredients or thar she'll blow!

So is the course content itself any good?
What's it aimed at in terms of user experiences and such? Will it fit the bill for those new people after an online course that offers some depth and yet is accessible to newbies or is it intermediate in content level?

For some it seems very difficult to understand concepts like third-party partnerships in web hosting.

Does a book I wrote become my web host's book, you know, once I allow them to host MY book?

See how that works?

overread: It's no FroKnowsPhoto, and it is certainly no Angry Photographer. It seems to suffer from use of correct terminology, and scientific principles and chit. And it has this horrible, logical structure. So far....seems like they want to educate, and not get Likes and Follows on YouTube.

So far, the "overly long" 103 minutes of introductory material ( good GOD--almost the length of a REAL college class period) has not sent me running to my e-mail client to write corrective notes...

I wish somebody would come up with a good 90-minute photography course. Cut that 103 minute intro down to 30 to 45 seconds or so.
Again, as I mentioned earlier, we have had several people asking about an on-line photography COURSE, over the past year. Currently, there is the free STANFORD UNIVERSITY COURSE, and the HARVARD UNIVERSITY COURSE...and both are being hosted, on-line, for free, by third-party web hosting companies. It is 2017 now...there is a move at this time toward universities releasing educational materials to the public, for free. Time to update the mentality of who owns what.

"Web hosting" does not indicate development, nor authorship, nor origin.

Last edited:
It's considered adult continuing education, and most of those type courses are geared for everybody/anybody and usually you work at your own pace if it's online. But see if it's still available thru Harvard or on a site that isn't trying to make a buck from it.

It's not just that Derrel, it's what the company is doing. I'd be furious if it was my work. Same thing with stealing photos. Why is a company overseas using it to try to make money? do you want to support that and help them stay in business?? I want to see that type thing shut down.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back