Free RAW converting software?

I did. it brought up a bunch of forums that I didnt feel like reading. I like the people here so much better. :hug:: :lol:

Mark

Yes. Nikon View NX is free and offers RAW conversion and basic adjustments like WB, Exposure comp, sharpness, etc..

Which offer better quality? I would think Nikon would be better, as it is Nikon, but you never really can be sure. I also have GIMP, so the misc. features arent of too much use to me (the more the better, though.)

Thanks
Mark

Doesn't your camera come with software to convert raw to jpg?

Score! I just looked inside the box that my D90 came in and I found a Nikon Capture NX2 disc. I dont know what it does yet, but Im downloading it to my computer. Its a 60 day trial version file, but its better than nothing.

Mark

It would figure, now I cant figure out how to convert to JPG. Is it as simple as just saving it as JPEG instead of RAW after editing?

Mark

go to the camera site and you should find free software to download, i believe it is called nikon editor.

Ok, well I just saved the RAW file as JPG, and it worked, so I guess Ill keep doing that.

Mark

It would figure, now I cant figure out how to convert to JPG. Is it as simple as just saving it as JPEG instead of RAW after editing?

Mark

That's it.

I find Capture NX to be slow and a memory hog. The alternative to viewing the folder cache is to simply open the files individually, but then that defeats the purpose of a Lightroom/Photoshop replacement as this is meant to be.

What I do like is it saves your JPEGS as you shot it, incamera edits and all - so you're not having to do any reedits in Photoshop.

The photo browser does really suck in Capture NX/NX2. What I usually do is open the folder in View NX, then I can sort through the photos and delete the bad, keep the good.....or even rate them if I'm unsure. Then I will go down the line in View NX and just right click -> Open in Capture NX2 and on down through the line. Using ViewNX and CaptureNX2 together works very well for me.

Score! I just looked inside the box that my D90 came in and I found a Nikon Capture NX2 disc. I dont know what it does yet, but Im downloading it to my computer. Its a 60 day trial version file, but its better than nothing.

Mark
You need to rummage throught the box some more because you also got Nikon View NX and Nikon Transfer. (Nikon Software Suite)

And wonder of wonders the D90 even comes with a Users Manual and a Warranty. :lol:

I did get the software suite, I thought that was just the transfer, so I didnt upload it. I will have to do just that today. Thanks.

Mark

Most reactions

New Topics

Back