Free Service Offer from Nikon

I happen to really like the fact that Nikon is reaching out to customers here, but it would be better if we knew why. In my experience Nikon doesn’t do something like this out of the goodness of their heart when their executives are running around talking about cost cutting.

This is exactly my thought on the matter.

I think Tom's final paragraph is reading too much into it though.

Nikon is issuing advisories on issues people dont even know they had. I don't think this is some quite recall on an issue, especally given that they are only emailing people that have registered cameras with Nikon and it's on different models now.

I have a feeling they just want to see how real world cameras are holding up over time, and in return they'll clean your sensor and send it back.

Last edited:
I mean, this is why Nikon is such a horrible company that is obviously doomed to imminent failure and doesn't deserve for you to buy their point and shoots, let alone high end DSLR's when there are such obviously far superior camera manufactures to deal with instead.

"..a lot of you sending me emails saying that you’re suspicious there’s more to it than goodwill."

Perhaps their vision of goodwill includes proactive maintenance.

I agree that Nikon's surreptitious handling of this tends to make people suspicious.

"What will this Free Maintenance Service include? This Free Maintenance Service will include the free inspection of your camera and its operation by a Nikon trained technician and if Nikon’s trained technician identifies any service necessary or desirable to perform on your Nikon D800E camera, we will perform that service free of charge to you (excluding normal warranty exclusions such as misuse, abuse, alteration, negligence or accident). We will also clean and return your Nikon D800E camera at no charge to you.

How do you take advantage of this Free Maintenance Service Initiative? You can take advantage of this Free Maintenance Service by sending your Nikon D800E camera to us using the prepaid shipping label, available at Print Label Here, together with a printed copy of the below Free Maintenance Service Initiative Certificate, before January 15, 2016."

Those BAS+^RDS! They will perform free checks, free cleaning, and free repairs on D800 and D800e bodies? And they have sent free shipping labels to camera owners so they can send in their cameras to Nikon for free? I say we have them all flogged!

The conspiracy fan in me wonders if Nikon can somehow glean photographic data from one's camera?

To use it against the camera owner of course.

Linked to Google, naturally.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back