Free web domains/site?

TylerF

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, I'm looking to set up a website to post my photos on and direct people (possible clients) to. I want something better than myspace or flickr or a blog. I don't need anything fancy. Is there anywhere where I can have a site dedicated to my photography but not have to pay for the domain?

Thank you

You have to spend some money to make money. If you have no skills in web design, I suggest looking at Smugmug. You can customize your site and they have a great help forum.

Thanks. I'll look into it. I know there's some domains other than .com u can use for free

There are free domains but they all come with loads of ads and a tag in the url address.

And it would never look professional enough for people to trust you.

edit: domains nowadays are pretty cheap anyway.

Ok thanks! I will look into it.

It's the best and probably most important 9 bucks you will ever spend when it comes to basic marketing...

and with go daddy being dirt cheap for hosting you can get it all there..

I resell their domains and its just dirt cheap.. I cannot touch it even running my own servers as I do....

If you plan on charging for your photography then plan on paying for a website and or domain. The "not having to pay" attitude is very unprofessional. Takes money to make money.

Love & Bass

If your wanting a decent website. I own a webdomain. Pazilla
We are in the process of creating premium accounts and will allow for the user to have a dedicated website...IE... .pazilla/TylerF We are working on the design right now but that would be a good free option for you

Last edited:
I understand that it takes money to make money. But I'm not 100% sure if I can make money through photography if that makes sense.

Then simply use a service from MS or Flickr and get our photos up for people to see.. Flickr is a great starting point for many and has launched some into busienss becase of the avid audience the site already contains..

Plus if you suck they will be happy to tell you and that sort of feedback is hard but very important.

Then simply use a service from MS or Flickr and get our photos up for people to see.. Flickr is a great starting point for many and has launched some into busienss becase of the avid audience the site already contains..

Plus if you suck they will be happy to tell you and that sort of feedback is hard but very important.

Honest feedback on Flickr? You're joking right? All I see anymore is a bunch of useless 'awards'. If you want honest feedback, forums like this is the way to go. ;)

Honest feedback on Flickr? You're joking right? All I see anymore is a bunch of useless 'awards'. If you want honest feedback, forums like this is the way to go. ;)

Depends what groups you join and how you intend to and do use the site - send your images to loads of groups which have the "useless awards" and they are what you get back - however send them to better comment and critique groups and you can get better back - eg:
Flickr: The Life Thru A Lenz (Quality Comment Group) Pool

At 9 dollars a year for a domain from godaddy there is no reason not to buy your own domain and then you can forward it to where ever you need in the future. Like someone has already written - your own domain is the best investment you can make for the future. Don’t tie yourself to someone who offers ‘free’ domains because you will end up paying the price later when you can’t easily move or change your setup.

the best you will get without paying is something like yournamehere.clustershot.com where you can choose the subdomain. (and btw I do think that clustershot are kind of good for what they do - you need their premium option to attach your own domain to their site

lol the thread seems to has switched into a flickr rant - and may also join the team that thinks that 99% of all flickr feedback is banal drivel.

All feedback is good - any feedback is good and how you use that or use it to measure if you work is good or bac is important.

Personally its two very different audiences i do not use flicker for other photogrpaher feedback thats what forums like this are for... Flickr is a better representation of what the general public wants to see or likes..

Personally most photo critique sites are terrible...and the feedback is usually more self serving than helpful.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back