Freedom and a Wide Open Road

GoM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
First biker out of the gates of about 12,000. Becel Ride for Heart, 2007. Toronto.

open.jpg

Hehe yeah, it worked out pretty well. I volunteer for a local neighbourhood monthly newspaper, and we occassionaly cover bigger cross-city events (such as this one; it was across town from where we are, but it's a huuuge event, so we're there). They closed off a couple highways for it, and about 50 yards past the starting line was a road overpass that they had closed off for the press. Naturally, I got up there on the bridge (next to staff + freelance photographers from all these papers, Toronto TV stations, etc...it was SO cool), and waited for this. By the time the shutter had reset for the next shot, the scene was full of bikers, so I can consider myself kinda lucky.

Here's hoping it gets published :)

Wow, Stu, that's a wonderful shot!! You must have been there bloody early! (didn't the first biker start about 6:45 a.m.?)

By the time I got there (as a participant) it was terribly crowded... thousands ahead of me, and thousands behind. It was such a hazy day, my pics (from my point n shoot) weren't anywhere near as sharp as this one of yours. Will go through 'em again tonight and see if any are postable as snapshots, to show what the event is like.

Thanks for posting!

Hehe, well, I got there at 7 at which point all the 75km-ers had left, so that was the first biker of the 50km crew. It was the 'official' start at 8 AM though, as there was a speech from some lady as well as a police chief beforehand, so...

We should do it next year together. I'm nowhere near in shape to have done it this, but I've started biking on my own, etc this summer/the winter to come, and I was pretty heavily considering doing it next year

You've gotta do it...it's a lot of fun. And it's not a race, so you can go at whatever speed is comfortable. Next year for sure!

Unfortunately not, Jeff. Don't have the money, and what money I do have is goign towards school/food/hopefully a DSLR. So, not this one ;)

Though maybe Germany '08

Most reactions

Back