Freeing up hard drive space - throw aways?

skywalkerbeth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone

What do you do with photos you've culled? Especially when you find your hard drive free space dwindling?

When I am going through photos I've taken, the first thing I do is sort them. The truly bad ones get deleted immediately - out of focus, etc. Then of the lot that is left, I first sort into two folders - "don't bother" and "keepers". I keep culling until I'm down to a manageable "keepers" folder (knowing that NO ONE, including me.. will look at every single one of my photos if I put them online).

It's not that ALL of the "don't bother" folders are bad - it's just that they didn't make the final cut. Will I ever look at them again? No idea. So far, I have not. Will I later think "hey, these were actually good enough to see the light of day"? No idea since I rarely have time to go back through.

What do you do? Do you save even the also-rans, or do you delete them immediately so that you aren't wasting time AND SPACE later, wondering what to do with them? This wasn't an issue for a long time but I'm finally nearing the end of the space on my 100 gig hard drive. (not all photos obviously).

I think you will want to keep them.

Archiving images is something we all have to do. I recommend external drives or additional internal drives to backup all of your images. I also reccomend duplicate copies (using drives) sitting on a shelf.

hard drives do not cost much these days

Time = money. By the time I decide what I want to delete and actually delete them and free up space, I might as well have just spent the extra money on another drive so that I could have spent that time doing more productive things. Like taking more photos. :lol:

If you look around, 1TB drives can apparently be had for $200 or less these days.

Time = money. By the time I decide what I want to delete and actually delete them and free up space, I might as well have just spent the extra money on another drive so that I could have spent that time doing more productive things. Like taking more photos. :lol:

If you look around, 1TB drives can apparently be had for $200 or less these days.

huh? So you back up everything from a shoot? Good and bad?

When I download from my memory card I do a coarse culling. Shots that seriously went bad go in the trash.

After that, everything gets saved as a raw file. I download to DVD and stash them. My working photos are JPEG and are stored on the hard drive. I do not convert all my raw files to JPEG. I suppose my JPEG would be considered my keepers.

One of the reasons I do this is that editing software has improved tremendously in the last five years and I don't think it has peaked. Who knows, next year's editing software might be just the thing for that photo that didn't quite work.

Thanks everyone. Great points. I do have an external hard drive. I will be more creative with it - I'll set aside a separate folder on it for the "also rans" and keep those indefinitely, and get rid of them on the main HD. QED.

I keep everything.

huh? So you back up everything from a shoot? Good and bad?
Obvious bad shots with unrecoverable errors I just delete on review/sort. And plus I shoot 99% JPEG so it's not like I'll be eating away space like mad with RAW. 99% of my shooting is also my daughter, so they're all keepers. :)

I'll delete the complete crap ones right away like you said, and usually keep all the others for some unknown reason. But later on when I decide to clean up my comp and delete some pictures I end up deleting all the pictures I didnt make an edit of, or if its good right out of the camera I'll put it in the "edits" folder anyways.

I just bought a 120 gb portable HD. Its great becuase if i need to show someone else a bunch of shots at there house its easy to take my entire photo collection

BTW
It cost under $80 =)

So far, I'm deleting all but my keepers. I'm not sure how that will change as I get better, though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back