Freelance Jobs for Minors = Illegal?

Something is missing from this story. Are you doing this during school hours? On school property? Using school equipment?

Shutter... If I were you I'd just ignore all the coments from school, they have no right to interfere with your private life! Here it is a different story. You cannot work if you are under 13. Then that is legal to employ teenagers over 13 for part time jobs. When you are 16 you can work in full hours. but I'm far far away :)
Btw. I have to congratulate you - I didn't know about your success at being a pro. That is really amazing and I wish you everyting the best in future! I hope I'll be able to see your shots maybe in... National Geographic :) or wherever else published :)

At $1200 a month I reckon I could pay off $6200 a term in no time!!!!

If you're that good then charge more and get an agency to pay for your university for you.

I did.

Spike

steve817 said:
Something is missing from this story. Are you doing this during school hours? On school property? Using school equipment?

No on all three counts - I can't do it during daytime (Window in my psedustudio and I expose shots on a barrel), There isn't anyplace to do it at school, and the schools EQ? Thats a laugh :)

I hope I'll be able to see your shots maybe in... National Geographic

Does NG still run ads? I do product work :p

spike000 said:
At $1200 a month I reckon I could pay off $6200 a term in no time!!!!

If you're that good then charge more and get an agency to pay for your university for you.

I did.

Spike
for freelancing thats really good... i still do some freelance in the portrait stage of small companies.. im actually shooting portraits of lawyers tomorrow for a newsletter... I also got 3 Clients here in seattle that i work with.. Mircosoft, Qwest, and Hanjin.... all these i gained from my instructor at school... These pay very well daily... but they take alot of out me because the photos have to be supremely perfect... Problem is, next quarter (1.5 months from now) im gonna be working with even more clients for advertisement, architecture, and portraiture... i dont think im ready yet to have more clients :(... shutterbug... congrats on all the work.. its really fun.. being 17 your doing awesome... your on my track, for im only 18... and enjoy brooks... one of my instructors graduated from there..

If you pay taxes on your earnings, and you are not working past 11pm. or more then i think 32 hrs a week, then there is nothing they can do. THe school itself can do nothing. Keep doiong what you do until a "real" authorty tells you to stop. You are an artist and many artists have been scwelched for thinking that they can not do what they want to do.

Are you in the US? If so, don't worry. If the harrasment continues, tell them to file charges. They won't because they can't... you've broken no law.

Good luck, and pick your battles well... you have to interact with these folks for a bit longer.

-Pete Christie

I dont suppose you should say to the counsellor "you know my taxes pays your salary" *smirks*.

If its not a bother to get the licence/permit thing, just go for it. If it is keep putting the counsellor off for 6 months till your 18 and then they have nothing to say.

havoc said:
If you pay taxes on your earnings, and you are not working past 11pm. or more then i think 32 hrs a week, then there is nothing they can do. THe school itself can do nothing. Keep doiong what you do until a "real" authorty tells you to stop. You are an artist and many artists have been scwelched for thinking that they can not do what they want to do.

This is precisely what I was talking about. Go ahead, follow this advice and be made into an example by your school. No, really, anarchy is the way forward. You might end up failing to complete high school and thus failing to enter further education, disappointing your parents and generally ****ing your life up.... but hey, you made a point as an artist, and that's all that counts.

robhesketh said:
This is precisely what I was talking about. Go ahead, follow this advice and be made into an example by your school. No, really, anarchy is the way forward. You might end up failing to complete high school and thus failing to enter further education, disappointing your parents and generally ****ing your life up.... but hey, you made a point as an artist, and that's all that counts.

I have no idea how things are in the UK. Here however the school has zero jurisdiction over what a student does in their time away from school property. But then again we are talking about California, so I could very well be wrong. I'll word it this way. In most places in the states the job of the school is to educate students not to raise them. That is the parents job

Speaking of parents, are they aware of this situation? If not it may be time to bring them in. I know that probably not what you want to hear

It's not about Anarchy, or being a "Rebel". It's about life. You live your life, and do what you love doing along the way. Just because you didn't know at 16-17-18 what you wanted to do for the rest of your life, that doesn't mean that he doesn't either.
Don't tell anyone that they shouldn't do what they love while they're young, because they're young, and don't listen to anyone who tells you what to do because they're older than you.
I would go to a higher official in the school, ask them what the issue with you working is. Be polite, and ask them what you can do to keep doing what you are doing, while solving the issue. Be honest. This is your career, which you are fortunate enough to be serious enough to be into at this age. Their role as an educational institution is to help you in your career life...The right people WILL help you, that's what high schools are here to do. Talk to someone else other than people who are rude to you without talking to you about it.
Don't bring your parents into it. This is your career. This is your future, and your school life. I'm 20, I have been working as a photographer for almost 4 years now, and I will be doing it for the rest of my life. I have had to prove myself to several clients due to my age. It's part of the game. Don't let it get you down, just be confident in what you do, and what you want to do

For those of you wondering - My parents support my work over school. They've always believed the American schoolsystem has been trying to gain more and more control over a child and they've both come to loathe it. On the other hand, I'm doing something that keeps them from paying for gas, insurance, or any other "teen" stuff, as well as setting the foundation for my career to come.

robhesketh - I know what angle you're coming from, and I totally understand it. But conforming just because "They say so" is morally worse than whatever punishent they can deal out.

And to everyone - I've contacted a lawyer about this - He says that I should write up a letter saying that I am going to continue working and that if the school is going to take action they can, but that they have to be prepared for any legal action we take in defense.

robhesketh said:
Highschool in the UK is quite a bit different than the public schools here in the US. Your advice might be useful over there, but this kid is not going to **** up his life by being insubordinate to a counselor. Guidance counselors are a joke.

It's awfully humorous to read the "legal" advice given in this thread. Personally, I would go to an administrator and have them point out where it says you can be suspended for doing freelance work. Like someone else said, it's not the schools job to raise children. What you do outside of school (that doesn't interfere with your own or others education) is none of their damn business. That's between you, your employer and the IRS.

Dear Shutterbug,

I agree with you that your career in photography is something of which your school should be allowed no part. I offer you advice that you should proceed with the utmost caution on the off chance that your school does decide to phrick your education. I also feel that your school is swelling in its self appointed power and will soon burst under the pressure it has created.

Warm regards,
Brett Nakashima

The bottom line is that the school has no basis for its persecution of you. I really believe that you did not need to see a lawyer because there is nothing they can do. However, on other hand it is not a bad idea to demonstrate to the school that you will not bend over and that you have legal action ready. If for some reason they were able to do anything, the monatary cost of litigation alone would prohibit them from following through on any threats. There is no way a school board could justify any costs associated with this to taxpayers.

Also there is something missing from this story, like why did they call you in to lean on you. Who exactly was it, just some counseler with nothing better to do, or the actual administration? Either way I can not understand why they would be bothering you. Were you posting flyers around the school advertising your services? That is the only reason I can figure out that they would disaprove. Either way it is only 6 months, any action anyone could take would be futile because you would be 18 by the time anyone would be able to do anything to you.

Most reactions

Back