Freelance Photography

cowbert098

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.ppbt.net
I am interested in getting into freelance photography to earn a little extra cash. Does anyone know of a good web site with companies interested in buying freelance photography or any other good resources? Thanks, Todd

i would advertise in a local paper or online

Once upon a time there was a national registry year book you could buy dedicated just to the photography market where you can get listings of agencies and contacts to sell your work. Advertising agencies need photographers, Manufacturers and large companies that produce catalogs also need photographers. Here in NYC there were agencies that would buy "stock" photos in any subject if they were good.

I haven't looked on the interent, but I am sure there has to be a want adds listing somewhere for photographers. Just for the heck of it I am going to do a search later tonight.

If you live in a large tri state area you will definetly have luck finding work (with a lot of persitence of course). An Art Director as middle man helps out a lot. Be careful, when a job goes bad it can be nothing less than a nightmare. All details should be clearly spelled out for the client. I could go on for hours. I am sure all of this has all ready been thought of. Oh yea, if you can get it done on let's say a wednesday, tell them it will be done on thursday.

I did a Google search of FREELANCE PHOTOGRPHER'S REGISTRY and came up with many hits. Some are very lucrative like this one.....

It looked very interesting and pulled me right in. It reminded me of the book I spoke about earlier BUT... CAUTION*****

I don't care for the fact they want you to pay money to register. OK if it's a one time application fee of a few dollars. Places like this can get you in trouble since they are charging a monthly fee to your credit card, that can be very hard to get rid of and you gave them access to your account.

http://www.aipress.com/Tango/Tango.acgi$/forms/specialty.qry?function=form

Get some of the phone numbers from this registry and call them to find out if they are getting work or are they being ripped off? Check out the registry you are getting involved with.

I got many other hits on my search although I didn't have time to get to check them out. I will look some more and post any I find.

Just be carefull of places that want you to pay them, they should be paying you or at least make a contract to put your work on consignment which will spell out fees and copyrights so you have legal recourse.

****READ THE CONTRACT CAREFULLY and please don't sign anything right away, take your time to think it over with someone that understands these kinds of contracts.

Happy hunting.

cowbert098 said:
I am interested in getting into freelance photography to earn a little extra cash. Does anyone know of a good web site with companies interested in buying freelance photography or any other good resources? Thanks, Todd

I suggest going to the local book store and picking up "the photographers market 2004", with 2000 listings. :0)

Most reactions

Back