Freelance Question

Face

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
diasporarock.cjb.net
So I recently did my first freelance photography shoot for the local paper. They just wanted me to turn the film in and they developed it. However, they asked me to do it when i was in the middle of a roll of film, so I had 9 pictures taken already. That means 15 of the pictures were for the assignment. Should I apologize to them for making them develop my personal pictures?

Face said:
So I recently did my first freelance photography shoot for the local paper. They just wanted me to turn the film in and they developed it. However, they asked me to do it when i was in the middle of a roll of film, so I had 9 pictures taken already. That means 15 of the pictures were for the assignment. Should I apologize to them for making them develop my personal pictures?

Hmmmm...now if they didn't know those first ones were yours and they thought they were part of your assignment...the possibilities (depending on what your pics were of) could be very interesting!

i never give people my film. id develop it myself and give them the photos they want. i very rarly sell my negatives.

Skyeg said:
i never give people my film. id develop it myself and give them the photos they want. i very rarly sell my negatives.
You can do that if you are shooting on spec, but if you are shooting for hire, the company that is paying you even owns the copyrights to the images. Most photographers charge accordingly when doing so. If you end up using an image you took without their permission, you're screwed. If you take "personal" images while on their nickle, they own them too.

everyone i do photos for signs a contract saying they are mine and thats the only way i do it, but thats just me.

Skyeg said:
everyone i do photos for signs a contract saying they are mine and thats the only way i do it, but thats just me.
Oh yeah, that's the way most people prefer to work, and that's usually how it works for individuals as clients. It's just that if you do an assignment for a magazine or do corporate work, like for a yearly report, it's going to be for-hire and you either have the choice of them owning all rights or not taking the job. The reason that people will take those jobs is that they pay better. If you send images in to a magazine of your garden, your might make a couple hundered. If you are hired to take pictures of a specific garden they want photographed, you can make a couple thousand.

i have a freelancers contract basically saying that they have the right to print my work once (I write for them as well), but I have the right to the actual pictures... my question is more if having them print personal negatives is wrong.

Face said:
i have a freelancers contract basically saying that they have the right to print my work once (I write for them as well), but I have the right to the actual pictures... my question is more if having them print personal negatives is wrong.
Personally, I would never put personal images on a roll that has business images on it. I would swap rolls back and forth if you are really worried about wasting film. I don't know what equipment you are using, but modern Canons use an infrared LED to count sprocket holes, so you can tell the camera to leave the leader out when rewound, write down the last image count on the canister, and then advance up to where you left off without being able to tell by looking at the negs. The spacing is just as if you had left the film in the whole time.

markc said:
I don't know what equipment you are using, but modern Canons use an infrared LED to count sprocket holes, so you can tell the camera to leave the leader out when rewound, write down the last image count on the canister, and then advance up to where you left off without being able to tell by looking at the negs. The spacing is just as if you had left the film in the whole time.

I dont think all canons do that. I bought a canon rebel 2000 a few months ago and when I use the mid roll rewind feature, it puts the leader back in the roll, and im not sure if theres a way to stop this. The manual says nothing about that. Be nice if it did, cuz otherwise I have to go to the film developing place to have them take the leader out for me, and I gues that puts stress on the film.

GerryDavid said:
markc said:
I don't know what equipment you are using, but modern Canons use an infrared LED to count sprocket holes, so you can tell the camera to leave the leader out when rewound, write down the last image count on the canister, and then advance up to where you left off without being able to tell by looking at the negs. The spacing is just as if you had left the film in the whole time.

I dont think all canons do that. I bought a canon rebel 2000 a few months ago and when I use the mid roll rewind feature, it puts the leader back in the roll, and im not sure if theres a way to stop this. The manual says nothing about that. Be nice if it did, cuz otherwise I have to go to the film developing place to have them take the leader out for me, and I gues that puts stress on the film.

Pick up a film puller out garget; I got one about 3 years ago for 5 bucks or so, it works very well

Jeff Canes said:
Pick up a film puller out garget; I got one about 3 years ago for 5 bucks or so, it works very well

I havent seen any of these, which store did you get it from? Hopefully online. :0). *goes to look on ebay*, hehe.

GerryDavid said:
Jeff Canes said:

I havent seen any of these, which store did you get it from? Hopefully online. :0). *goes to look on ebay*, hehe.
They are super cheap. And you're right, not all Canons will do that. It's a Custom Function for the ones that do. My old Elan woudn't, so I'm not surprised that the Rebels don't.

Click on the Adorama link below and do a search for "retriever". The misspelled "retreiver" also pulls one up.

markc said:
GerryDavid said:
Jeff Canes said:

They are super cheap. And you're right, not all Canons will do that. It's a Custom Function for the ones that do. My old Elan woudn't, so I'm not surprised that the Rebels don't.

Click on the Adorama link below and do a search for "retriever". The misspelled "retreiver" also pulls one up.

No, I picked one up at a local shop
Film Extractor Kodak Model# ML 135

Most reactions

New Topics

Back