freelance work?

Kuristopha

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Maybe i've just been reading too much Spiderman, but i was wonderin if anyone here knows about or has any experience with taking photos for local newspapers, just on your own time or whatver. Something like that would work out great for a poor student like myself with a hectic schedule!

Well...no...not directly...I almost had some photos in the newspaper...but they were to dark...:( wowest me.
My advice...get to know people...write to the newspapers...do work experience with them...and be the friggin best you can be :)

I have been working with a newspaper for years http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/(shame less plug). We get an intern every summer, but they are selected from national colleges.

The problem is that the staff photographers are experienced. That goes for the editors and art directors as well. Deadlines are always looming. That means; as much as they would like to see your work... they just do not have time.

All papers are different. Figure out if they even have staff photographers. Get to know the writers and photographers you see. Show them that you can cover some issues better than they can. Politely "get in their face".

Hmmm could be a descent summer job, maybe a writer/photographer for a small town paper. Any idea how much money there is in that?

Try submitting work to magazines but you have to write an article with it as well. I love aviation and started with a few news pics from different shows I attended then started writing feature articles with my images. Pay can range from $50 to $700. After a few years editors started coming to me wanting me to so shoots in my area. The problem is you have to wait several months for publication and payment. Pick a topic you like and know and write about it. With most magazines these days you have to be the complete package.

Eric

I think alot of newspapers are giving thier reporters digital cameras, to take the pictures, instead of having hired photographers that cost more money. They dont get the same level of skill, but thier more interested in saving money. I know the local paper in town gets the pictures of the stories by thier reporters. Ive contacted the city paper and they pay chump change for special interest pictures, and almost chump change for newsworthy stuff like a bank robbery, fire, accident, etc. I wonder if submiting the picture and then turn them down for the $50 payment, forcing them to pay more for it if they really want it would work.

Theres more ways to make money than with the paper, or so ive read. An intereseting one is real estate photography. But you need a wide angle lense. I plan to try this once I get my dslr and sigma 15-30mm.

Kuristopha said:
sorry what are AP and Reuters?
AP
Reuters
They are major agencies with world-wide network, which supplies new/photos all over the world.

This is a good buy.

AP (Associated Press) and Reuters are the last of a whole family of international news services. Basically our daily pays for a subscription to download and edit stories and photos from them. They are big, so once again it is about being picked up; not the money

Airic has a good point.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back