Freelensing?

PJoneil

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.amberlinphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just curious if anyone has ever tried freelensing. I ran across the concept the other day and haven't really made up my mind about it. It's supposed to create a sort of tilt-shift effect. But I'm not too sure about shooting with my lens detached from the camera or how the whole process fully works. If I ever decide to actually try it I will surely research it more though, but just seeing if anybody has experimented with it at all.

I tried it in college, but was always scared, especially after what happened to comedian Richard Pryor when he tried freelensing.

It works best with a lens designed with a greater rear flange distance than your camera (without this you're restricted to close ups).
I've used it with some enlarger lenses, using a section of rubber gaiter to reduce the entry of dust & stray light.

Not done much with it, but here's one of my better tries (I was trying to get my son's eye & the base of the tower in focus I think I actually tilted a fraction too far):
freelensing portrait by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

It works best with a lens designed with a greater rear flange distance than your camera (without this you're restricted to close ups).
I've used it with some enlarger lenses, using a section of rubber gaiter to reduce the entry of dust & stray light.

Not done much with it, but here's one of my better tries (I was trying to get my son's eye & the base of the tower in focus I think I actually tilted a fraction too far):
freelensing portrait by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr
Well I really like your result, nice shot!

Most reactions

Back