Freestyle Motocross

Brokepilot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Here are just a couple of the pics that I took of the freestyle motocross event that was here in Dallas last weekend. I had fun with my first attempt at taking action photos with a "real" camera. I found that a lot of the ones that I took were out of focus, but as the night went on I got a little better at catching the shots and following the action through the lens. I guess I would compare it to following a target through the scope of a rifle. At least that kind of helped me when I finally started taking some better shots. Overall it was just a blast to be able to take some cool pics of insane people flying through the air on motorcycles. Hope you guys enjoy these and if you have any tips for action photos or cropping I would love to hear them.

SeatGrabMid-Air.jpg

ScissorKick2.jpg

LookMaNoHands.jpg

IntheAir.jpg

Backflip3.jpg

2 and 3rd are great in 3rd looks like he has lost it :)

Great captures. Those fly pretty fast, it's hard to focus in on them. My only bit is the background is a bit distracting, maybe crop closer to the bike or bump your aperature up more so the background is more out of focus.

Nice shots there, i think that photos like these are often more effective if the subject is moving into the photo, like in one and two. Althought i appreciate that it is very hard to get the composition right for these photos as they are moving so fast. over all thoguht they are really nice and well captured. :wav:

Thanks for all of the input. I would have to agree with you Kevyn. I prefer the ones coming toward the camera as well. Unfortunately, my seat was on the side with the smaller ramp, so they didn't get quite as much air, but still got to see some cool stuff. I have several more cool pics, but I didn't want to blast the forum with too many.

Pacereve, I found the audience to be distracting also. A lot of the riders gear seemed to blend into the background because of the colors. I need to work on my FOV and settings, so that I can blur out the fans. I tried to crop them so that your attention would be brought to the rider by the fans looking at them, but this didn't always work.

Ab$olut, he stayed with it. There was only one accident and it was on a backflip. The rider was OK and they interviewed him after the medics took a look at him. He said that about half way through the rotation of the backflip he remembered "Oh yeah, I am supposed to do a flip." His rotation stopped about half way around and he landed on the ramp with the bike on top of him. Lucky guy walked away from it with just some scrapes.

Most reactions

Back