Fresh Meat! Where to Start?

AdamBomb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Guys, To start off, My Name's Adam. I am 20 years old and Just got my first REAL camera yesterday, a Nikon D90. So far I am in love with it!

As to be expected, I am feeling pretty overwhelmed with anything beyond Auto Mode. I watched the Nikon School Video on YouTube, And I am beginning to read the Nikon School, "Guide to Digital SLR Photography." I'm sure it will just come with experience, but do you guys have any tips? Or Resources, to give me a jump start into things?

3031224550_3e407a0614_b.jpg

My Dogs, Zoey And Stella.

3031225184_0f6eab70dd_b.jpg

sounds cliche, but take some photography courses in school to learn the basics of things like the zone system, rule of thirds and so on.

I like the decor in your room.

Back on topic...

Welcome to the world of photography! Judging by the pictures around your room, you like art, and probably have an eye for it. This is great to have.

I wouldn't worry about taking classes. If you can, then take them. But they can be substituted with picking up some books from your local library and by spending a generous amount of time with your camera.

When looking at books, you need to read two types. The first is the more technical type of book. These will teach you how to use your camera, and what all the vocabulary and the functions of a camera do and etc. The second is the more artistic books, which focus on the elements of a picture, not so much the nuts and bolts. And if you're library is outdated, and they don't have books onj digital photography, then read the ones on film. I learned reading books about film photography, and for the most part the nuts and bolts is almost the same.

Anywho, photography is going to be one of the best things you do with your life if you stick with it, and I guarantee it. I'm 13 years old (What? A 13 year old can be a photographer? No, that's not possible... :lmao:) and I have been serious about photography for about a year now. I've already created prints that I've sold and I've done a couple of small shoots. So what I'm trying to make you get from this is that there's no limits on photography. It doesn't matter if your 13 or 130, you can still take great pictures. The horizons are endless as far as whatever you want to take. Don't be afraid to go outside of your comfort zone. It's like dipping your toe into a pool, it might be cold as heel when you first feel the water, but it'll be just fine once you get in. :D

If you are going for Understanding exposure be sure to get the revised edition. Which covers more about the digital end of things. This book is a great read and help me a ton..............

Most reactions

Back