friday=d70 :)

sh0rtofdaybr3ak

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
ahh i can't wait... but i searched and stuff and found out that the lexar memory cards are good, do you think the 1gig will be good to start out with?

Plenty good.......... about 94 shots in RAW with one of those suckers. Just shy of 300 shots in Fine JPEG mode.

I just got 2 of them last week. Got a huge deal through work--2 cost me slightly more than one will cost most (not that I'm rubbing it in or anything ;-p ).

They work excellent. I went to Vancouver's chinese new years parade and filled both cards. It was my first time shooting entirely in RAW and I fired 336 shots. Zero problems when I went to offload them. Created DNG files and backed up both them and original NEFs to one DVD. Awesome.

My battery actually died before I could fill my original 512mb card (last to be used and it was the end of day anyway. Still, I'll have to remember the cr2 adapter for next time).

I would recommend getting a card reader if you don't have one. Otherwise you're using battery power just to transfer images--which would have sucked for me since I would have had to wait for the battery to charge.

malachite said:
Plenty good.......... about 94 shots in RAW with one of those suckers. Just shy of 300 shots in Fine JPEG mode.
I fit ~94 RAW shots on my 512 card.

voodoocat said:
I fit ~94 RAW shots on my 512 card.
And how are we doing that? I really am only getting 47 images per 512MB card and 23 images with the 256MB. Am I missing something? And I am only set on RAW and not RAW/basic.

malachite said:
And how are we doing that? I really am only getting 47 images per 512MB card and 23 images with the 256MB. Am I missing something? And I am only set on RAW and not RAW/basic.

I get more than 94 shots on my gig cards (10-20 more on average). The count is an average based on huge file sizes and compression. I'd assume this has to do with how busy the image is, but I'd be guessing.

Definately not 94 RAW images from my 512mb card though. Sounds like a big fish story to me...possible, but highly improbable.

Rogue Monk said:
I get more than 94 shots on my gig cards (10-20 more on average). The count is an average based on huge file sizes and compression. I'd assume this has to do with how busy the image is, but I'd be guessing.

Definately not 94 RAW images from my 512mb card though. Sounds like a big fish story to me...possible, but highly improbable.

The problem with the D70 is that it drastically underestimates how many shots you get. Stick a 1Gb card into your D70 and it will indeed say something like 94 shots on the display, but in practice you usually get almost double that.

Should get close to about 180 shots on a 1Gb card, although it depends upon your photos as the size of a RAW file can vary by as much as 1Mb

I would prefer two half-gig cards to a single 1gig card. I never trust storage media, and the cards are tiny and light. At the moment I have 2 digicams and 4 SD cards, the largest two being 256 meg. I use cheapo cameras that compress my images, so a 256 allows me far more shots than I would ever take in one day, and the transfers to my PC are faster with a smaller card.

I spent a few more pounds on the cards, but not many, and it is worth it for a feeling of security.

i havent looked into card readers yet, any suggestions on a good pick while i purchase my d70 :) ??? ... Thanks for all of the help guys!

malachite said:
I'm not doing anything special. RAW files on the D70 are between 4-6 megs a piece. So if average is 5 megs... 500/5=100

The problem with the D70 is that it drastically underestimates how many shots you get. Stick a 1Gb card into your D70 and it will indeed say something like 94 shots on the display, but in practice you usually get almost double that.
Exactly.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back