fringes in my pictures

photaholic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
why am i getting the fringes like this in my pics .. mostly when there are bright pics or am i the only one seeing them ? :(

look on the wall, its more clear there ..

DSC_7002 by vamsi nagalla, on Flickr

Details about the settings
  • ƒ/2.5

• 50.0 mm
  • 1/80

• ISO - 200
  • Flash (on, fired)

Do they come straight out of the camera like that, or do they appear after processing?

Do they come straight out of the camera like that, or do they appear after processing?

Hmmm i deleted the raw images .. Let me check if they are still in recycle ..

And i didnt do any processing just auto when the raw file opens in photoshop and then auto tone .. Thats about it

Sent from my iPhone

I think I have seen them in one or two of my photos, but if I remember correctly, they only appeared in post processing. I think they happened after excessive sharpness alterations.

Are you referring to those arcs in the white wall around the peacock feather? If so, they're jpg compression artefacts; a result of squeezing of so much data into such a small, 8 bit file.

Are you referring to those arcs in the white wall around the peacock feather? If so, they're jpg compression artefacts; a result of squeezing of so much data into such a small, 8 bit file.

Yep, it's the JPEG compression setting that needs to be changed. Use a higher quality JPEG compression value.

Joe

Off topic but......

nd i didnt do any processing just auto when the raw file opens in photoshop and then auto tone .. Thats about it

Of all possible ways to get quality out of your image, this is the least useful.
If you allow the camera to process the sensor data into a jpeg, the engineers (who know your camera the best) can provide a damn nice jpeg.
You have downloaded a huge raw file, let a piece of software that knows nothing about the image process it and reduce it to a jpeg, throwing away information, and then you follow up by actually discarding the 'digital negative.'

I suggest that either shoot jpegs and let the camera do the work it knows best or shoot raw and learn to handle the images in LR/PS to get the best result.

Note also that you have lots of extra space to crop off, you could have shot at a much, much higher iso (Nikon D600 Review - High ISO NR) and not have used the on camera flash thus getting more natural results.

upload_2016-9-8_10-50-10.png

The banding/posterization on the wall results from the limited color bit depth (8-bits per color channel) a JPEG file has.
Banding posterization is most noticeable in parts of an image that have a linear gradient of colors.
DSLR Raw files are 12-bit (4096 gradations of color per color channel) or 14-bit (16,384 gradations of color per color channel) color bit depth files

8-bits can only represent 256 gradations of color, or a total of 24 bits of the RGB color (Red, Green, Blue) model.
If a gradient has 85 gradations of color there is no way 24-bits can represent all 85 gradients and has to skip some colors leaving visible edges where the skipped colors are missing.

Last edited:
indeed its low esolution ... im soo stupid to delete the old files with out looking at the processed pics :(

Most reactions

New Topics

Back