From back in the fall

Discussion in 'Nature & Wildlife' started by surfingfireman, Feb 7, 2009.

1. surfingfireman

surfingfireman TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Most of the colours were fading by this point in the late fall, so I was looking for some different views.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rufus5150

rufus5150 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hope you don't mind a little critique (you didn't ask explicitly).

I love the simplicity of #3 and I think #2 would be its equal were it not so centered horizontally. #2 has the same element of simplicity but with a little more context and repetition with the other hanging berries. It gives it a nice touch.

#1 seems like it could use a bit more punch but the subject matter doesn't move me much.

The subject is hard to find in #4 and it could use a bit of punch as well, but the contrasting textures are nice.

3. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sumacs produce nice colours in autumn, and you can work nicely with "repetition"-elements in the case of sumacs.
    Sharpness and reflections of the sky on the berries is better in the 2nd photo, though its centredness "bugs" me as much as it seems to "bug" Rufus. But it could still be cropped differently to change its composition somewhat (if you want to do so).

I do like the close-up of the droplets on the leaf, but they should be brought out SOME more to stand out more, be in clearer contrast to the leaf as such... Nice subjects, all in all. Autumn is a great time for photography.

4. surfingfireman

surfingfireman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the comments and advice Rufus and LaFoto.

I didn't want to over saturate the sumac leaves (I tend to do that often), so I made an effort to be minimal with it. Looks like I went to minimal.

I knew the centered berries would be a problem. If I recall correctly, I think I cropped it that way because there were distracting elements I was getting rid of.

The non-centered berries lost some sharpness and looked more dull because they were underexposed and black. I tried to bring out some detail.

I need to get out and shoot more then post more. I feel like my skills have taken a turn for the worse during my photo drought...